Tabernacle/Mast Step Leaking

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
I'm telling you what. It seems I've been spending more time learning how to repair my boat than sailing it.

I've got a 1981 O'Day 22 and as you can see from the pictures, I've got a problem. We got some rain following the Harvey storm and drips formed on the plate. Now, the crack you see just outside the plate was there when I bought it last year but has extended a quarter inch when I allowed the mast to settle over a bit when I took off the forestay to do a repair. There is some compression on deck just aft of the nast that extends approx. 3 inches. 20170902_114130.jpg 20170902_114130.jpg 20170902_115103-2.jpg I read this link: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/1984-oday-26-mast-compression-damage.153219/

Seems he had the same issue and was successful and would like to know the preferred materials and even the brands if possible to complete the project. I'm handy so that's not a problem but the technique and materials is where I'm not confident.

Lastly, where I really am curious is in the pic where I have pulled down the aluminum plate. There is an opening which doesn't look to be accidentally caused by stress. Almost like it's cut I don't know. I couldn't get theat nut off or I would have taken the plate off. At first I thought there was an electrical wire in the crack but it's hard almost like a coat hanger strength. Part of the Crack in the center almost looks like it's curled under.I'm assuming I need to close it up with some form of hardened substance.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The stiff wire is probably a ground wire to ground the mast to protect from lightning strikes. O'Day grounded all through hulls like that, basically like old copper grounding wire used in houses. To get that nut off try PB Blaster and let it soak overnight. Otherwise invest in an oscillating tool and cut it off or use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel.