Swinomish redux

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
I'm re-looking at my options for getting to Friday Harbor on Friday (leaving Seattle Thursday) in case the forecast in the strait gets ugly. Currently the plan is Port Townsend on Thursday and cross to Friday Harbor at just before slack in Admiralty Inlet on Friday morning. The marine forecast for Thursday is W 15-25 so I'm not sure I'd risk crossing in that scenario if it stays the same for Friday in case it turned out to be low. I'll have to make that decision on Thursday.

Second choice would be get as close to Deception Pass as possible Thursday then transit that Friday but again a decent west wind might make me re-think that one too.

And that brings me to the last option, the Swinomish, which not my preferred route. The Swinomish Channel Watch site's latest news is when dredging was completed in December 2014. So a year and a half since it was dredged...not sure where that leaves things as far as sedimentation and depth. Any thoughts?

Brian

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Dont worry about the Swinomish.. If youl have to use it, just time the tide. You won't run aground. Going from Pt. Pownsend, or points south, time your tides such that you hit Smithl Is around slack on the ebb and the start the flood going north into Cattle Pass or up Haro Strait..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Or Rosario Strait depending on where you're going. Its rare that I've sailed completely across Juan de Fuca. When motoring, you could have some rough water around Pt. Wilson due to opposition. Wait an hr. or just go through it.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks Mark. The latest forecast looks like we're going to be fine crossing early Friday morning from Port Townsend so that's still the plan.

I know it will take longer (we're not in a rush assuming we can cross safely Friday morning) but is there any reason not to go up through Rosario Strait and cut in either north or south of Decatur Island vs straight across to Cattle Pass? I was thinking about stopping at Spencer Spit on the way.

[Edit: We're going to end up in Friday Harbor on Friday whichever way we go. You also mentioned Rosario so that already answers my other question about route. Thanks.]

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
San Juan Channel/Inner Passage (between Cattle Pt & Lopez) can get lumpy in the Rip Tides. if you do go around the north side of Lopez to get to Friday - be sure and check the charts for rock piles - esp just south of canoe island (don't ask).....

Les

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Brian, the link that follows describes what I know about the "ditch" from several years of experience. If I plan on passing through the channel I will enter the south entrance at the top of a flood which will give you several feet of clearance. That way when you come into town the tide will have started to change to an ebb allowing you to follow the ebb current out the north entrance, which can run two plus knots.

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/transiting-the-ditch-er-swinomish-channel.176907/

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Crossing the Strait...turned out beautiful. Can't say the same for the forecast later but we'll be long gone by then!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry,
I'm reading your thread. I found two flood sites on my electronic maps. Do you use the LaConner or the Padilla Bay site to gauge the time of Flood?

Dec 25, 2000
Hi John, I normally use the Bellingham tide table. It is pretty close to the channel conditions. I did notice on Wednesday as I came through the north entrance heading south that the high tide was changing to an ebb about 30 minutes earlier than the table prediction.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Terry

Saw you at Echo Bay Monday - you anchored right next to me. Ran Swinomish about 7 this am and saw nothing less than 8 feet.

Charles

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Charles, Echo Bay is such a nice place, but can get crowded in the summer. In the future please rattle my cage so we can commiserate. I'm sorry I did not recognize you.

Rendezvoused with two others of our flotilla: Bob on Mariposa, a Cal 27 and Cory and Tony on Essence a Pearson 30. They were on mooring balls just north of the horizontal mooring system. Had them over for dinner on Belle-Vie; beef stroganoff.

Back home to be together for our 47th anniversary then hope to be out again soon. We may sail over to Captain Whidbey Inn at the bottom of Penn Cove in Coupeville for dinner; dining room is closed Monday and Tuesday.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Darn, no sign of the white pelicans coming through the channel. Saw them when I headed north. Must have decided to move on.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
It is amazing how the Great Blue Heron population has grown over the years. Them and the Cormorants. Ditto for Eagles, but not quite as much.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You do know the north end of the channel to the west is one of the largest heron rookeries.....

Dec 25, 2000
You do know the north end of the channel to the west is one of the largest heron rookeries.....
Not surprising. Another is in Cornet Bay. Across the road there is a heavily forested gulley where they roost for the night. Noisy critters at times.

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Sandy Point Ferndale is the Heron Spot if your looking for them we have plenty is know as their spot from what I read and seen I have seen as many as 75 or so all in a flock right out of my front window. They are Awesome Birds just love watching them.