Swing Keel Questions

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Hello,
I have a 1976 Helsen 22. This is a swing keel boat, which seems to work well, but one can never really know until it fails, and I would prefer for that not to happen. I am just wondering if anyone has experience with swing keels, and how I could inspect it, and what I should look out for.
Thank you

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had a center board in my keel.
I inspected the line and knot used to adjust the center board for any chafe.
I also inspected the pin that the the board pivots. Looking for rust and corrosion.
If the pin fails or appears to be corroding I would remove the pin and repair then reinstall.

The line can be replaced should you discover chafe.

You may need to find a way to raise the boat enough to remove the swing keel beneath the boat.

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Thank you very much. I was thinking about buying/renting stands to get the boat up off the trailer to lower the keel down. I will look for these things when I can lower the keel.

Oct 22, 2014
How much does the boat weigh? I’ve seen frames constructed to lift the bow then the stern. Then repeat till the boat is supported high enough to drop the keel.

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
I believe the boat is 600 pounds. I am not 100 percent sure on this, but that is a possible option.
Thank you once again.

Oct 22, 2014
It’s about the engineering. Thinking you lift the bow and your lifting only part of the total weight.

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
My Lockley Newport LN23 was salvaged. The center board had rusted into the keel. Initially, we had it on boat stands and a boom truck attached with straps located near the bow and stern as a safety backup. We used a saws- all on a slow speed to cut the center board out of the keel housing. I then had a stainless steel center board laser cut and shaped to allow for better flow of water around the center board. The previous owner, I think, neglected regularly checking the center board as the hole in the center board had wallered out to 3 times the size of the pivot pin. While waiting for the new center board to be made, we placed the boat back on a borrowed trailer while I was having my trailer reinforced with a larger center piece of channel steel on which a 2x10x10 treated wood was attached for the keel to rest on. When I had the trailer specially made for the boat, according to boat specs, the trailer needed support 2500 pounds. The manufacturer used 4 inch channel. I left the 4 inch channel in place but had a 2x8x10 channel welded over it and an additional two 4" cross members welded in on both sides from the outside frame to the wider and thicker center piece of channel. When the new center board was ready, I hauled the boat on the borrowed trailer to a local boat yard which had a boat lift. They hoisted the boat up with chain hoists placing boat stands for added safety; we were then able to attach the new center board with a new pivot pin and the lift cable that runs up through the keel trunk attaching to a set of blocks with rope/line then through the deck and back to the cockpit. He did not charge me for the boat lift as he wants to do my next bottom job. You might not get the same deal but to me, using a boat lift and 5 boat stands as safety was the best way for me to get my new center board in place and the boat transferred back to my trailer. I know I said a lot here, but I want to express how important it is to be as safe as possible when planning to work under your boat on the dry. Even then, stuff can happen very quickly.
James

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Thank you.
The keel works fine, and the past owner says the wire was recently replaced. I just want to make sure. I am also wondering if I can replace the current keel winch with a trailer winch. The current winch is very rusted.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Cape Daysailor,
Many concerns to think about if your boat weighs in the 2 to 3 ton range. Lifting off the trailer might be done best by hauling the boat on its trailer to a boatyard where it can be lifted by a travel lift and set onto jack stands they would have. That would hopefully give you other eyes and perhaps professionals to help with the lifting and securing. It would also need to be DIY yard if you want to work on your own boat. Of course, taking it to a yard will cost some $, but the workers might also do the work of replacing the bolt for you. Again more $. By discussing the project with them you might get some ideas for your work.

RE: the C/B winch....Look for a matching replacement. I think many C/B winches are a worm drive type depending on the weight to be lifted. The attachment and the pull angle may also be different from a trailer winch. Be Careful & Best Wishes.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Thank you.
The keel works fine, and the past owner says the wire was recently replaced. I just want to make sure. I am also wondering if I can replace the current keel winch with a trailer winch. The current winch is very rusted.
I don't have any experience with the Helsen, but the other swing-keel boats I know of (particularly the Catalina 22) use a 'brake winch' which won't freewheel under load. That seems like a big safety factor when you have a ~600 lb keel wanting to free-fall. With an ordinary trailer winch, if you drop the handle while lowering, you'll either 1) Break your wrist trying to grab it again; 2) Let the keel swing into the trunk and break the fiberglass; or (more likely): Both.

Dutton-Lainson and Fulton both make brake winches. They should be in the neighborhood of $75-100, vs. maybe $30 for an unbraked trailer winch. If you can find one with the same bolt pattern as your existing winch, you might have to spend a little more, but you avoid drilling new holes in your boat.

Regarding lifting the boat, search the Catalina 22 and Trailer Sailors subforum; you'll find lots of options. A couple:
--https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/how-to-lift-boat-off-of-trailer.102261/
--https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/how-to-get-a-trailer-boat-off-the-trailer-for-maintenance.115815/
--https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/is-this-jacking-scheme-safe.194191/&highlight=stands

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Thank you. I had my suspicions about using a trailer winch, but was just wondering if it was an option.

Jan 13, 2019
Hey Cape Daysailor,
Looking at your specs:
Draft (max):
4.50 ft / 1.37 m
Draft (min):
1.16 ft / 0.35 m
Displacement:
2,200 lb / 998 kg
Ballast:
700 lb / 318 kg,,
and the specs for my Lockley Newport LN 23:
Draft (max):
5.50 ft / 1.68 m
Draft (min):
1.90 ft / 0.58 m
Displacement:
2,700 lb / 1,225 kg
Ballast: 1,000 lb / 454 kg., I have a question. Is your ballast the weight of your swing keel or is the ballast encases around

Jan 13, 2019
Sorry. Hit the wrong button!!
Is your ballast encased in the housing for your swing keel? I ask this question because when I was getting ready to replace my centerboard/swing keel, I had assumed the weight was all in the centerboard. But actually the ballast is encased in the shoal draft housing around the centerboard. The actual weight of my center board/swing keel was actually 55 lbs. The stainless steel center board I replaced it with weighs 60 lbs. I am also asking the question to learn on my part.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Thank you.
DO NOT use a trailer winch there- get a winch that has a built in braking system- A trailer winch could easily free wheel, and you can break hands- wrists - arms badly..

Oct 24, 2018
Helsen 22 Fond Du Lac, WI
Sorry I said the weight of the keel not the boat.
Hi I have a Helsen 22 and run the owners group on Facebook. One of our owners group just finished re doing his swing keel. It weighs about 165lbs. There is more info on the facebook page Helsen 22 owners group.