swing keel on mooring

Jun 20, 2016
catalina 22 Port San Luis
I am going to put my Catalina 22 on a mooring for a few months per year to avoid the hectic boat launch area and hopefully get more sailing time. I have been reading a lot about pros and cons of epoxy on the keel, etc. I am unable to sandblast the keel at the moment which is making me lean towards not coating the keel in epoxy. Has anyone or does anyone see a problem with coating the keel every couple months with a thin layer of marine grease or tar? I am planning on putting zincs on somehow and am wondering if, while not perfect, this would prolong the life of the anode by reducing exposed surface area of the keel?
thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Anodes are probably not necessary on your boat. They become important when you have 2 dissimilar metals on the boat, like a bronze prop, SS shaft, and through hull fittings.

I would avoid pine tar or grease on the keel, it will just be a mess to clean up. Just clean up any loose flaking rust, paint with a rust inhibiting primer, like a Rustoleum product and put on some bottom paint. You'll have more problems with marine critters and growth than you will with galvanic corrosion.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Your biggest worry is going to be marine growth. In just a few weeks it could get bad enough to prevent your swing keel from going up or down if it is not frequently exercised. I would also worry about the consequences of "keel slap" if your boat shows any indication of it. Anti-foul paint is a must to protect the bottom and getting it as much as possible into the keel trunk is advisable.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just clean up any loose flaking rust, paint with a rust inhibiting primer, like a Rustoleum product and put on some bottom paint.
Anti-foul paint is a must to protect the bottom and getting it as much as possible into the keel trunk is advisable.
That's about all you can do. I haven't heard of anyone who has ever put bottom paint inside the keel well. I don't recall how far up the water gets into the keel well. I haven't owned a C22 since 1987, so please forgive me! :) It was a swing keel and in the summer we kept it on a lake in the water 24/7 from Memorial Day to Labor Day. During the winter we'd trailer sail it on SF Bay.

You may want to ask on a C22 or C25 forum, they should know more exactly.

Good luck.