Swing keel box - removing gel coat

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Hi all fellow forum users... newbie here in this forum. From Cape Town, South Africa.

I am in the process of restoring a vintage Jaguar 22, as they are called here in SA, of unknown age or hull number. The boat was seriously neglected for many years so i took it on as a project boat. That was a year ago nearly now.

The gel coat was just a mass of blisters, tiny cavities and scratches all over below the water line and full of crazing and scratches above the waterline. Many hours later; belt sander; RO sander; drill with rotary discs and hand sanding with auto production paper and blocks I removed the gel coat from the hull - except inside the keel box.

My question is this: Has anyone removed the gelcoat from inside a keel box before themselves or seen/heard about someone else doing it in another thread/form?

I need ideas on how to do it!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
see pg 8 of Cloud Diver's excellent thread....may be of some help....
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...n-of-1981-c-22-swing-keel-10580.166613/page-8
Oh boy... dejavu!! Many thanks for the pointer in exactly the right direction! I cannot believe the similarities in the process that I have used so far to the process used in the thread by Cloud Diver.

I also turned my hull upside down for this work as there was no ways I wanted to sit/crouch/lay under a hull holding up heavy sanding machines. The masses of tiny bubble were visible to about half way up the waterline boot stripe. I ground down the gel coat to above the waterline boot stripe though with a combination of 40 grit belt sander/rotary sanding discs on and angle grinder and a random orbital sanding machine as well as hand blocks and sand paper. I then covered the whole hull with overlapping layers of 250gram twill glass fabric and epoxy.

Now I am regretting that I ignored/overlooked the possibility the the same problem existed in the keelbox :-(

Rgrds, Greg