Swim ladder & docking

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
peter_ms

As the story goes ......In picture 1 shows the original swim ladder.When my grandson fell in the water one day I had to walk around and board the boat to release the swim ladder to the in water position.

In picture number 2 and 3.....I added a telescoping swim ladder that was being used on a lot of boats at the boat shows. Looked pretty good and functional until my 28 year old niece fell over board. Her self inflated PFD would not allow her close enough to flip the ladder over and down in to the water. So she deflated her vest which allowed her get closer to reach the ladder and flip it over so it would go into the water, but not before the ladder hitting her in the head.....and still today a lot of ladders are still installed that way including the 2014 Catalina. I saw a 2 powerboats at the 2015 Seattle show with the ladder turned around.

In picture 4 it shows some revisions adding aluminum channels and a aluminum tube with a quick release pin for the 3/4" plywood cover.

I used a small piece of Velcro, in a secret method, to secure the ladder from unfolding or coming loose or etc.

I have had some notes put on the dodger over the years thanking for the use of my swim ladder:)

paulj :troll:

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
very nicely done Paul
I notice that you have lowered the propane locker "drains"
How did you manage to access that area from inside?
Is the transom in that area solid 'glass or cored?
Did you just fill the old ones with 5200?
Did you fix the "waterlock" in the portside spare locker? They came off the side with its drain; not the bottom as done with the main locker...
Thanks
Peter
peter_ms

YES to all.

Could not pass Coast Guard free inspection.....blocked propane vent port.

Made the following changes....

paulj
:troll:

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Excellent Paul
Did you pull them out; or work from below?
Peter