Swap Porta potty for marine head

7seas

Mar 30, 2015
MacGregor 26 X Montreal, Quebec
Hi all.

I'm looking to swap out the porta potty on my 2002 Mac26x for a marine head.
Wondering where the optimal placement would be for the holding tank
(rigid or bladder?) and deck fitting.

Thanks.

Rick.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm looking to swap out the porta potty on my 2002 Mac26x for a marine head.
On any boat much smaller than about 28', swappimg it for an "MSD" 5.5 gallon portapotty is a much better solution. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it. A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a square foot of storage space.

Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 565MSD...the online store here has both.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I want to confirm our positive experience with the "MSD" style portapotty described by Peggy. Capacity is up to 4-5 days for 2 of us. We have used it for 17 years over 7,000+ nm of cruising. Do give it a thought!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
On any boat much smaller than about 28', swappimg it for an "MSD" 5.5 gallon portapotty is a much better solution. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it. A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a square foot of storage space.

Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 565MSD...the online store here has both.
Agreed. I have the 550P MSD in my Ericson 26-2 and it works great. The only caveat is that the flimsy plastic hold down bracket is totally inadequate. If you get on, plan on putting together something much more robust. You don't want a full head flying across the head compartment!

7seas

Mar 30, 2015
Thanks so much for your advice.
I'll check it out.
Rick.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I put in ...

... the shorter Thetford 240D in my S. Had to go with the shorter model since it was going under the settee seat in the cabin and anything higher would put my head into the cabin top.

I also didn't like the plastic hold-downs so...

.... made some aluminum ones that were tailored to my application.

One other mod that I did was to also put in a means to pump overboard myself if I was far enough off shore to do it legally. I don't see that as a needed mod for most people.

I put the new head in before the Bahama trip so that I would mainly be legal down in the Keys and at Marathon if I went in there. As it turned out I went pretty much straight to Florida's east coast and made the crossing to the Bahamas. I still have never used the new head as I still prefer using ....

... the wag/Double Doodie bags in the old head. I can use that head for a much longer period that even a larger holding tank on a larger boat and there is no cleanup. Another advantage is a "full size" seat to sit on :).

You can find detailed construction for both here (for an S not an X though :( ).......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-index.html

A couple nights into the trip I was anchored just inside at Fort Myers Beach and law enforcement came to the boat to make sure I wasn't pumping overboard and I showed them ...

... the pump-out fitting and head and they were satisfied and left.

I agree with the post above about the composting head, give that serious consideration. At the moment I'm finishing up installing a new Lavac head, holding tank and all new lines on the Endeavour and wish now that I would of gone with a composting head instead. The S isn't really suited to one but people have had good success installing them in X's and M's (also check out the forum that has more X and M owners for ideas if you haven't)

Sumner
====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

7seas

Mar 30, 2015
I found the Thetford head in the on line store but can't locate the Dometic/SeaLand 565MSD to compare.

Rick

Feb 15, 2010
Macgregor 26x Salt Spring Island
My son, a shipwright and blue water sailor says a 5 gallon bucket will never need to be repaired and is easy to replace. I think a porta-potty is a more comfortable choice and almost trouble free.

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
My son, a shipwright and blue water sailor says a 5 gallon bucket will never need to be repaired and is easy to replace. I think a porta-potty is a more comfortable choice and almost trouble free.
Save yourself work and effort. Go with a bucket modified to be a composting toilet. There's a guy selling one ready made on ebay. I bought one. It works.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
For any real composting to occure you need a heater, a blower, dry material--peat moss is the recommended material--a biological additive and a vent to accelerate breakdown and air circulation. Without all that, all you have is a litter box.

May 24, 2017
Hunter 2005 Ontario Marine
Definitely Composting Toilets are beneficial all of us . I am using Nature’s Head Dry Composting Toilet . It makes use of the same optional 12v or 110v vent fan which blows foul odors out through a 5’ outlet pipe. The toilet has a container a lid to remove the waste product and additional containers and lids are available if you want to compost the waste for longer periods. It should be mentioned that some people have found the 5’ outlet pipe a little short when used with an RV, so it could be worth buying some extra piping to extend the waste gas outlet.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
+1 on the Thetford! Been using this for over 10 years now. Only issue we've had so far is the pump bellows failed a few years ago. Replacement was available and not expensive.
Low cost, simple, compact...