Swap out YanMar 2gm20 13 for 18 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
My 1984 H-31 has a 13 HP Yanmar 2GM20 Diesel and I was wondering if the 18HP model would fit right into the motor mounts, Transmission bolt up, etc. Hoping to just yank one out and put one in with little or no modifications.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Chet: I think you will find that they are the exact same footprint, so a swap out should be easy.

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
Thanks Steve, I was kind of hoping that was the case but heard there may be issues with the newer trans.

Chet

Oct 28, 2005
Hunter 31 Portage De Sioux, MO
We have a 16 HP Yanmar in our 87 Hunter 31. Footprint should be exact same. But Yanmar does make an upgrade for this engine. I believe it is a 20or 21 HP. Same engine mounts and will connect to transmission without any problems. I looked it over at Strictly Sail in Chicago last year. Was considering switching out for more power. My sailing ground is a river with swift current and the more HP the better for us.

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
Thanks Robert,
That's the news I was looking for. Now to find a dealer or someone selling those motors.
Chet

Dec 2, 1999
Chet:

The 2GM is no longer in production and I doubt that you will find a new one. They have been replaced by the YM series (really nice motor). I doubt that there is much difference in the price of the motor, but the installation would be considerably more.

What is wrong with your old motor?

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
At this time nothing other than it's got God knows how many hours on it and I would like a bit more power. The fact that it's old and unknown hours worry us as we may be moving the boat from New Hampshire to Key Largo Florida and there is bound to be a lot of motoring thru the ICW. Starts up, runs fine, get about 6.5 knots at 2800 RPM. Just unsure of the hours and how it was treated (really) before us.
Thanks for the come back Steve,
Chet

mr c

Aug 4, 2010
hunter sailboat 31 northport
I have the 2gmf 13 hp. I was wondering if anyone has changed the prop on this motor and seen major differences or no difference at all with the push power.

Oct 28, 2005
Hunter 31 Portage De Sioux, MO
Chet you can contact Larsen Marine in Waukegon, IL. and ask for someone in sales for the Yanmar engine and they will fix you up. I think the engine runs between $7 to $8,000. As I mentioned I was considering changing out for more horsepower, but decided against it. A few things you can do to find out about your engine. Here are some good guide lines to follow. Very simple.
1. Next time you change oil, get some oil in a small container and send it off to a lab to be tested for metal and water/antifreeze contamenation. Your local Catipillar or major truck repair dealer can recommend a lab. This will tell you something about the bearings on the crankshaft. And if you are getting water/antifreeze in the oil from a bad head gasket.
2. Make sure you are putting the recommended oil in your engine. I use Shell Rotilla 15/40 for diesel engines. It has special additives in it specifically for diesel engines. A Yanmar sales rep told me one time SAE 10/30 is good. Don't beleive it.
3. Oil filters, air filters, fuel filters are cheap. Change them often. They prevent major repairs if on a regular maintenance schedule. The eleventh commandment in my bible.
4. You can run a compresion check on the cyclinders, but should be done by a tech who knows what he is doing. You can also check the valve clearance as well to see if the valves are withing spec.
5. If it starts, runs good and doesn't seem to be blowing black smoke out the back you should be in good shape. (Black smoke usually means you have dirty filters).
These little marine diesel engines are designed to give thousands of hours of operation if properlly maintained. Our 87 turned over 1,000 hours last year. Still going strong. One more point and will get off the soap box. Fuel condition is very important in the marine inviroment. Fresh diesel is a must. If it sits for long periods, put in a GOOD conditioner. Again, I use Power Service. Is expensive, but has never let me down in 35 years in the long haul trucking business. Good luck.

Dec 2, 1999
Chet:

I am with Robert on your engine. You appear to be getting good speed out of your engine. If you don't have a three bladed prop, you may want to consider this. Depending on your budget the Campbell Sailor 3 blade is a good choice for around $600 or you could move up to a Kiwi for around $1300 or so and then they go up from there.

If these engines are maintained your can get 10,000-12,000 hours on them. You may want to think about removing the fuel tank for a through cleaning or replacement.

Additional filtration is not a bad idea for your type of trip. We added a fuel bypass system that allows us to switch between filters if we have any fuel problems.

I think it would be worth have a Yanmar mechanic down to adjust your valves and check out the engine. You should also replace all of the belts and hoses for your trip to prevent any potential problems.

Be sure to have at least one set of spares (belts, impellers, filters etc)

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
Thanks to both Steve & Robert,
I change the oil every fall just before the boat is pulled for the winter. I estimate we put 60 - 80 Hrs. on the motor each season. We don't motor much. I use YanMar oil & oil filter. I change the fuel & Air filter each spring just before launch. I do use an addative in the fuel for the winter plus the tank is topped off just before we go on the hard. 3 years ago we had all the belts & hoses changed as well as the raw water impeller and last year I had the injectors pulled & cleaned. I had our local marina Diesel maechanic check the valve lifter clearences last year as well. Seemed noisey to me but he said it's just the way a diesel sounds. The 84 Hunter 31 doesn't have the greatest in sound insulation for the engine compartment. I was thinking about a 3 blade prop but read somewhere they're harder on the cutless bearing. Any thuth to that one? All in All our motor preforms well just was getting a bit worried about the hours. I really like the idea of taking an oil sample to the lab for testing. Think I'll do that real soon.
Thanks guys for the info, very informative and appreciated.
Chet

Status
Not open for further replies.