Surprising Leak source H27 '84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Ever since I purchased my 1984 h27 six years ago I have experienced more water accumulating in the bilge that expected. It is sometimes difficult to judge since melting ice from the ice box discharges to the bilge. I had always assumed that the source of the water was too much drip from the prop shaft packing. This was based in part on the recognition that the water leak was worse at times when the engine was pushed a little harder. Because of this I have always kept the packing adjusted as tight as I felt comfortable.

On a recent trip in the Pamlico Sound, NC I had a chance the set up the auto pilot and was able to check the packing drip at about 3000 rpm in rough seas. It was surprisingly light and while counting the drips, I noticed water splashing into the engine compartment from next to and under the muffler. I thought, aha the exhaust hose must be loose on the back end of the muffler, so I wiggled further into the aft port berth and peered and felt the muffler outlet, but no leak, although water was definitely gathering in the low area of this aft compartment. Then I noticed water running down the rudder/steering assembly.

Turns out there is a set of matching flanges on the steering assembly below the wheel devise where the steering cables are attached. These flanges are held together by four 11mm stainless bolts. There is probably a gasket between the flange faces. In my case, all four bolts were VERY lose - each took about 3 or 4 turns the tighten. By tightening these bolts, I have reduced water intrusion by as much as 80 %.

At rest, these flanges are above the water line, but at higher power, as the stern of the Hunter squats, these flanges move closer the the water and in rough seas you get a leak. Three of the bolts can be reached from the storage locker under the helm seat. I would recommend any owner of an older Hunter check at least one of these bolts to see if any looseness is present. Good Sailing. Tony

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
The same sort of leaking situation occurred on many of the Cherubini 44s with on-center/prop aperature configurations. (The off-center-prop ones did not experience the same symptoms for obvious reasons.) Under power, propwash shoots up the rudder stock and 'overflows' into the lazzarette, eventually collecting in the bilge. People kept tightening up on the stuffing-box till they realized what the issue really was. Believe me, it had some great minds stymied for a while.

The newer C44s benefit from the installation of a very nice, fancy, somewhat complex and expensive but definitive solution, a UHMW bearing at the top of the rudder stock immediately below the quadrant. MOST wheel-steered boats (like H27 and H30) can have this issue; a tiller boat would have the rudder head above the cockpit seat and not be a problem.

Your H27 has a simpler and cheaper solution than the fancy UHMW bearing-- just keep the gasket material sound and the flanges tightened. Some flanges can accommodate packing in lieu of a gasket, which should be likewise maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.