Support Pads

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Has anyone used stall mat (firm rubber 1/2" to 3/4" thick) to help spread the load on trailer support pads? I'm using two 6"X 6" fully articulated pads spaced 6" apart on each vertical support. If I could turn the boat upside down I would build pads to the contour of the bottom with fiberglass. This worked great on a plastic kayak.:)

Checking out boats on trailers with a thin piece of plastic (credit card thickness) placed between the hull and support the only boats with much support were flat bottom. Boats with a compound curve, like a sailboat, had a very small area actually touching the fiberglass until the laminate deformed. Bunks were the worst and I've always thought they were the best. :( The only place the plastic wouldn't slip through, unless the hull was deformed, was near a support on every trailer except flat bottom boats.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Unless flat surface you must remember that hulls are curved and with pads you have one point of contact not over the entir pad itself.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Most of the weight of most boats is on the keel bunk. The bunk or rollers on the side just keep it from falling over. Most bunks can be adjusted to accommodate the curves. Fiberglass flexes as well so there is a little bit of room for error. I recently discovered how much better a boat can tow when the bunks are properly adjusted. Prior to that it would bounce around on the trailer a bit