Super Cheap Yachting

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
I've been reading lots of articles on affordable cruising which seem to suggest that $15,000 is an "affordable" amount to spend getting out on the water. However, that's not affordable for me. I have a $100 monthly budget which includes meals out, clothes, etc... along with any hobbies.
So... I'm looking for advice on super cheap yacht outfitting. I got a Mac25 for $1000 and a marginally running 10hp Yamaha long shaft for $400 which I'm learning to fix myself ($200 small engine course).
Now I'm starting to face nickel-and-dime stuff adding up like $55 for lifeline netting for my 3 year old, $170 for a used tiller pilot so I don't need a crew every time, $100 for a used portabote, $40 for an anchor light, $400 for new standing rigging if I want to be "safe," etc... Once my hobby costs start approaching $2500 I (and the Admiral) start questioning whether sailing is really worth it for us.
I'm reading Bernard Moitissier and loving the telephone pole masts and utility wire rigging. Does anyone have resources, ideas, blogs, etc... for the super-cheap sailor?
Thanks!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Tough question, I have always heard that a boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into, the bigger the boat the bigger the hole. I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm the big question is what will one give up in order to achieve the goal, the next question would be is the goal safely reachable.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Fritz, my idea is stop spending, and go sailing!

Your purchases of netting, an anchor light, engine repair, and a portabote make sense to me if you are starting out cruising and anchoring out.

It was 3 summers and 1,500 nm of cruising before we bought an autopilot. In fresh water, the standing rigging on our boat was 30 years old when we replaced it after cruising for 7 years.

Once you have used the boat for a summer, you and the Admiral will know the next investment you should make, and it’s value to you!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Now I'm starting to face nickel-and-dime stuff adding up like $55 for lifeline netting for my 3 year old, $170 for a used tiller pilot so I don't need a crew every time, $100 for a used portabote, $40 for an anchor light, $400 for new standing rigging if I want to be "safe," etc... Once my hobby costs start approaching $2500 I (and the Admiral) start questioning whether sailing is really worth it for us.
Thanks!
That small stuff will never end. (Impellers, Oil Changes, Sail Repairs, Bottom Paint), Just keep coming around.

Starting with a boat on the cheap makes life interesting but affordable. We started with our boat for free, but over the years it does add up in maintenance and repair costs. Just take the admiral to the closest sailboat show, and show her what a new boat in the same size range would cost you, and she should lighten up.

Just make sure to enjoy your boat. That is what we do it for.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
If you sail it enough, the cost per hour of family enjoyment comes out to be pretty reasonable in the long run.

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Thanks everyone. Great ideas on managing costs long-term, especially the one about being patient.
Does anyone have favorite shopping or sourcing ideas for boat parts, motors, etc... What are your cost-saving secrets?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks everyone. Great ideas on managing costs long-term, especially the one about being patient.
Does anyone have favorite shopping or sourcing ideas for boat parts, motors, etc... What are your cost-saving secrets?
Local Marine Flea Market. These are my two local ones:
28th Annual Pompano Beach Nautical Flea Market
Dania Marine Flea Market

Marine consignment stores like Sailorman or Boaters Resale Shop of Texas can be good.
I also highly recommend Craigs List and E-bay.(One of my sails is from Craigs List, the other from E-bay. I got a quality set of lightly used running rigging for $35 from Craigs list)
Yard sales (my 7hp Evinrude cost me $25 at a yard sale. My 9' Hard dinghy was $200 with a 1952 3hp Evinrude at a different yard sale)
Pawn shops in a marine/boat yard area can also be a good source of used bits. (I have purchased lots of dive/fishing gear and tools this way)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Oh wow - marine flea markets and consignment shops! Had no idea! Looks like Sailorman doesn't keep their listings up to date because I called about an item on the site and they don't actually have it. So I'm guessing they cater to local crowds, though I can keep calling I suppose.
Anyone know of one in the Midwest?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You have to lighten your backpack. A tiller auto pilot is not a necessity; learn how to single handle a boat without it. Rather than lifeline netting for a toddler make a body harness, tie a safety line to it and eyes on the kid at all times. Small engine course, you can find everything on the internet to fix a small engine, should have used the $200 for parts. Pardon my ignorance but do not know what a portabote is; likely something not needed for sailing.
Replacing the rigging is usually costly so it is not something to replace on a whim. Inspect it frequently and replace just the piece that may be near failure. If you just day sail and overnight there is no need for preventive total replacement. Out of all your expenditures the anchor light is a reasonable one, hope you got an LED fixture. This forum is a great source; as things come up, just ask for solutions and advice.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The netting for the 3 year old isn't overspending. New rigging - maybe if you don't sail in blustery conditions. If you are sailing with young family then you shouldn't be out in those conditions anyway. Auto pilot? Yes, again due to young person on board. You need to be able to leave the helm. Portabote? See if you can get a small kayac instead. Hopefully at a yard sale when Grandma and Grandpa are cleaning out.
Nevertheless, you are questioning the importance of sailing in relation to the expense. You may not be able to afford the Mac at this time. That's OK. Maybe you should look at a daysailer that you can launch at will and take home at the end of the day. The key to enjoying sailing is to have the right boat for you at the right time in your life. Now may not be the right time for the Mac. Sell it for whatever price and find something that works for you now. If you hang around this forum for very long you will learn that most of us have had many boats. There is a reason for that. Good luck and remember to have fun. If it's a financial burden it isn't fun.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Up-keep of even a 20 ft boat costs money and time. Generally, you can't justify the cost on usage although it might make you feel better about the spending if you try. This means that you have to use the boat at least more than the daily cost of a charter/rental amortized over a year. Say it costs $6,000/yr to keep a 25-ft boat. You spend 30 d/yr on the water. That equates to $200/d of usage. A Merit 25 in Mission Bay (San Diego) cost about $290/8-hr day to rent x 30 = $8,700/yr. So, you're ahead over chartering even at $6K/y in cost. Knock that down to 20 d/yr of sailing and you're about even. Cut the cost of ownership to $4,000/yr for 20 d/yr of sailing, and you're WAY below chartering cost for the same amount of time, etc.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Oh wow - marine flea markets and consignment shops! Had no idea! Looks like Sailorman doesn't keep their listings up to date because I called about an item on the site and they don't actually have it. So I'm guessing they cater to local crowds, though I can keep calling I suppose.
Anyone know of one in the Midwest?
Sailorman Just moved their entire warehouse to a new location this summer. last time I stopped by, they were still unpacking containers, and had no Idea where anything was. It may take them months to get the new location organized. It is truly like a marine thrift store, but like most thrift stores it is a jumbled mess scattered across a huge warehouse and outdoor yard. Once they get it reorganized I am sure the website will be updated.

ps: The good stuff goes fast. I have been looking for two self tailing winches for the stargazer for 2 years. Every time I stop by they have a bunch of winches, but they are either too big, too small, or too beat up.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've been reading lots of articles on affordable cruising which seem to suggest that $15,000 is an "affordable" amount to spend getting out on the water. However, that's not affordable for me. I have a $100 monthly budget which includes meals out, clothes, etc... along with any hobbies.
So... I'm looking for advice on super cheap yacht outfitting. I got a Mac25 for $1000 and a marginally running 10hp Yamaha long shaft for $400 which I'm learning to fix myself ($200 small engine course).
I'm reading Bernard Moitissier and loving the telephone pole masts and utility wire rigging. Does anyone have resources, ideas, blogs, etc... for the super-cheap sailor?
Thanks!
Super cheap yachting is dinghy sailing, either mono or multi. Something that weighs less than 700 pounds and is towed behind your car. Suggesting anything else is myth and a disservice to you. I started with a beach cat and loved it. I may yet go back to it, though maybe not a beach cat this time.

And there is NOTHING undignified about small boats. They are fun. They are great teachers. They race higher performance versions in the Olympics. They're not cruising boats, but rather are more like a bicycle. I like bicycles too. My super cheap boat is a kayak.

That said, I did write this, which might help:

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-book-store.html

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Thinwater, your book looks amazing! Do you have a paper version? If not I'll try and figure out how to read it on my laptop.
It sounds like we have a ton in common (PE, daughter, 401k priority, can fix nearly anything, etc...). I give a lot to charity and hope to retire in 7 hears (to sail more, among other things), hence the budget.
I was looking for a dinghy initially, but I think I'm over that hump at this point, both with my purchases and goals. The Mac sits on a trailer and so there are no ongoing maintenance costs beyond oil changes and fixing broken stuff. So far it looks like I'll be able to keep her for under $500 per year in maintenance and repairs long-term. Once everything works I tend to lose interest in upgrades (like I have with my house).
Assuming that I'm not going to be persuaded to change my mind, it seems like the following are my options:
  • Be patient and save up for the stuff I want.
  • Keep watching craigslist, ebay, and consignment stores.
  • Spend my summer garage-saleing (Garage Sail - good boat name)
  • Go to auctions
Anyone else have ways that you save money on boat stuff?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Moitissier could do tricks like that because he knew what he was doing! ;^)

For now I'd just start slow and add things as your budget allows. There are a lot of possible sailboat maintenance 'hacks' you can do, some are smart, some are questionable, and some are stupid. Best to lean toward smart and proven until you learn more.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Ok, something doesn't add up. How is it that you have a "3 year old" AND plan to retire in 7 years? I have a 35 year old daughter and maybe won't retire in 7 years. I suppose maybe you are talking about a grand child that you look after?