Sunk sailboat removed from Hamburg Cove Lyme Connecticut

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Thank you Frank. Do you know where she was taken? If she was hauled?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hello everyone, I am the guy who filmed the video surrounded by ice and then sunk in Hamburg Cove in Lyme Connecticut. The boat was removed yesterday and here is the video of the boat coming out of the water.
Figured you would all enjoy this
Nice video @frankd32. I gave you a like for the well done video...not because I like looking at these tragedies. You’re gonna do a follow up of course...right? :thumbup: I’d be interested in what the hull damage looks like and how much or how little caused it to hit the bottom.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Huh. It looks fine.
Fix the leak, mop it out, and she's good to go!

.... Or not ....

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Huh. It looks fine.
Fix the leak, mop it out, and she's good to go!

.... Or not ....
Yeah, really. Well except for every wire, piece of plywood with veneer, every bit of electrical and mechanical equipment and the list goes on.
Basically, there is a hull and probably a mast and boom, some winches, blocks some line and some sails. Not worth the rebuild, IMO. I'd bet she'll be parted out and chopped up. There might be a decent anchor on there and if the chain is fairly new?
I wonder what Sea Tow charged for that job and if that will be part of the sale price?

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
I believe Sea Tow has her on Old Saybrook. Probably already have a lien on her for the salvage. The owner will have a choice of paying it off to get the boat back, or they can go to court to get possession of her and sell her off. Bet she goes to Cooper Salvage for resale

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I believe Sea Tow has her on Old Saybrook. Probably already have a lien on her for the salvage. The owner will have a choice of paying it off to get the boat back, or they can go to court to get possession of her and sell her off. Bet she goes to Cooper Salvage for resale
Knowing Sea Tow as I do, I'd bet that they did not do that job on spec. Either the city or the owner's insurance paid up front.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
I heard the owner has no insurance on it. It was across the river in Essex at a marina and he was asked to leave when they found there was no insurance on it. Sea Tow did it on spec. They do towing, but make a ton of money in salvage work. That is the reason they have solid boats versus Boat US running inflatables

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Never know, when I hauled out in October, there was a Hinkley that had sunk, that was being refurbished in the yard. Guy purchased it cheap and was willing to put the necessary $$$$ into it. All of the interior was rebuilt and electrical replaced. Motor & Tran was rebuilt as it was under water for a week. Going to have a nice boat when it’s finished.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I heard the owner has no insurance on it. It was across the river in Essex at a marina and he was asked to leave when they found there was no insurance on it.
Great Scot, that just boggles the mind! Who owns an investment/liability like that and doesn't have it indemnified?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Me too Charlie, full 1” of custom Navy-issue neoprene on the torso. Filled the suit with hot water and went over the side through the ice. Everyone thought we were crazy, they were right. I still hate cold water diving. These boys work in dry suits, way less painful.

Feb 23, 2019
Beneteau 393 Door County-Sturgeon Bay
Awesome video- actual brought a tear to my eye to see her sunk and then rescued. I hope there is something left to salvage. Crazy the owner had no insurance on her!!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
beautiful video !! i wonder who owned 'Mazu of Newport'? this video makes the $400 yard bill for winter storage look like a great bargain. i'd certainly like to know what was the bill for this salvage operation...