Sun Gypsy 2017 cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
John I have always believed that discretion was the better part of valour. Bev is great with the weather and I am too. We always study it carefully before a long crossing. The plan is to come back to the mid-coast after Gwaii Hanas down to about Hakai Passage before heading for Cape Scott and Winter Harbour. That makes a much shorter passage for us. I've been around the island once before, spent some time in Klaskish Inlet sewing a torn genoa. Mostly light wind that trip but I know it can blow. If we don't get a good weather window we will re-plan and come home on the inside. Our plans are not written in stone, that's for sure.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Michael - Just took an opportunity to throw in another sea story and didn't mean to expound on being more careful. I'm really envious of your being able to take this trip and wish I could. Seems we always get stuck on making our longer trips at the end of the season instead of the beginning, and then it becomes a rush instead of being able to just take ones time. Not what I call a relaxing way to cruise.

Speaking of Gwaii Hanas (still have a hard time getting over the name change), I didn't realize they have a session one has to take now before going there. The last time we went they had just started requiring prior approval to visit the site at Anthony Island so we didn't go there. We did go to the hot spring and they gave us what they called a passport there but since then I understand it is no longer valid because they raised the bar.

Speaking of sea stories, there was a boat called Dark Star named after a rock group (or maybe song) from Vancouver that crossed Hecate Strait to Queen Charlotte City. It was a large ferro, a schooner of about 65 feet, but very nice condition and we were tied up behind him in Queen Charlotte City. The interesting story part was it was a really rough crossing and the skipper (the lead guitarist) got extremely sea sick and his wife took over the helm duties. In the meantime the heavy anchor became unlashed, swung back and forth, then eventually broke one of the two 3/4" SS rods to the bowsprit. Talk about averting a disaster....

Jan 5, 2017
Sun Gypsy arrived home on Sept. 13. What a great trip we had. As you can see by the map we covered a lot of water, spent 113 nights on the hook in beautiful anchorages, met a lot of great people and saw a ton of wildlife. IMGP0582.jpeg IMG_2331.JPG IMG_2366.JPG IMG_2413.JPG IMG_2636.JPG IMG_0162.jpeg IMG_0208.jpeg IMGP0060.jpeg IMGP0080.jpeg IMGP0203.jpeg

Jan 5, 2017
Didn't know how to label pics! 1) Map 2) 6 eagles at Prince Rupert 4+5) grizzlies in Khutzeymateen 6)these can be hard on masthead fittings 7) empty marinas when you go early 8) Prince Rupert Cow Bay everything with a cow theme 9) Cape Caution on a nice day 10) Sunset in Higgins Passage 11) one of hundreds of waterfalls in Gardner Canal

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Didn't know how to label pics! 1) Map 2) 6 eagles at Prince Rupert 4+5) grizzlies in Khutzeymateen 6)these can be hard on masthead fittings 7) empty marinas when you go early 8) Prince Rupert Cow Bay everything with a cow theme 9) Cape Caution on a nice day 10) Sunset in Higgins Passage 11) one of hundreds of waterfalls in Gardner Canal
Very nice, Michael. Thank you.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Going to have to learn to label pics. Took just over 700 but they only let you send 10 and I didn't want to bore everyone anyway. Gardner Canal and the West Coast of Vancouver Island were our favourites. Bev is already planning going around again next year.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Thank you for the pictures Michael, the wife and I really enjoyed them. What an epic adventure, well done! Very disappointed that we didn't get to meet in Comox on your way North:(

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Captn. Scotty
We'll try again next year! Bev is planning Seymor and Belize and the west coast again. Maybe a little later.... leave here in May and come home late Sept. Gotta make hay while we still can....IMGP0083.jpegMoore IslandsIMGP0140.jpegKumealon Inlet AnchorageIMGP0287.jpegRelaxing in Europa Hot Springs