Sun Gypsy 2017 cruise

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Fury Cove, just above Fury Island a very nice respite from the very lumpy ride around Cape Caution. Well protected, nice sandy beach, but keep and eye out for the rocks close to shore:

https://mapcarta.com/24263324

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Hi Terry
Not sure who crewed for who but I think we've been on the same cruise. ( at least for part of the way ) We stopped there on the way down last summer. Very protected and you get a good look at what's out there before you go!

Jan 5, 2017
Miles Inlet, Allison Harbour, Murray Labyrinth and the Southgate Group. I was a little intimidated by Nakwakto but maybe this trip! Are you sure we weren't on the same cruise? We spent about a week exploring around there.

Jan 5, 2017
Over to Westport Marina on Monday for a quick haul-out before our trip. New zincs, cutlass bearing, a Campbell Sailer propeller and a coat of bottom paint. 19 days to go!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael, Are you dealing with West By North? What is the price range for a Campbell Sailer propeller? It is a new name to me and my diver suggests I begin to look into a future replacement.

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
John,
Until Michael responds, my price for the Campbell Sailor some years ago was in the $625 range. Also, at the time, West by North, being the manufacturer, was the only source. Good folks to deal with, by the way.

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you Steve. Was looking for a range so I can begin to save for this next project.

Jan 5, 2017
Michael, Are you dealing with West By North? What is the price range for a Campbell Sailer propeller? It is a new name to me and my diver suggests I begin to look into a future replacement.
Hi John
My new Campbell Sailer from West by North was $874.50 Cdn. Because I had purchased one last year for our Ericson 28 I got a discount and the new one came to $832.52 Cdn taxes in. I wish I had done more testing before the change but the one place I paid attention was coming down Navy Channel. When we brought the boat home with the 2-blade prop we made 5.6kts at 2800rpm. With the new prop we made 6.4kts at 2500rpm. We have a Perkins 4-108 with a Hurst 2.53/1 which,I think , is the same as you.
Maine Sailor did some pretty extensive tests on this prop that looked good to me and I love the "no moving parts" as well as the cost.

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you Michael. Sounds like a real positive option. I have a Perkins 4.107 built in 1973. Produces 48hp. I have a 3 blade prop also likely from the same period. I can get 6 knots at 2400 cruise. I think I should be able to do a little better. Will be trying to get a picture of my prop to understand what or when I need to update.

Jan 5, 2017
The tests that Maine Sailor did indicate that the Campbell Sailer produces about 1/3 the drag of the typical Michigan Wheel. On both my boats we went from a 2-blade to 3-blade and the difference when going upwind in a stiff chop was fantastic.

Jan 5, 2017
Moved Sun Gypsy down to the fuel dock this morning. All fueled up and watered. First stop in the morning is Sidney then off to Cowichan Bay to visit family before heading North. The adventure begins.

Jan 5, 2017
Sun Gypsy Cowichan Bay.jpeg Newcastle2017.jpeg Pulpstone quarry.jpeg
Sun Gypsy at Cowichan Bay. Met family here for dinner at the Rock Cod Cafe before the start of our trip. One of the great advantages of starting early is the amount of dock space available everywhere. These are the docks at New Castle Island, Nanaimo. The old pulpstone quarry on New Castle. The pillars on the mint in San Francisco were quarried here. A great place to visit for kids of all ages.
We are now up to Comox to visit friends and take in the last few days of practise for the Snowbirds.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Hi Michael,

Nice picture of Sun Gypsy at the Cowichan Bay dock!

Have to say I really envy your going at this time of the year. Sure, there is inclement weather but, like you noticed, for a leisurely trip there is lots of dockspace around where one can tie up and be on shore power (hydro in CN speak) when it is cold and nasty outside. Also, the water falls are fuller, the snow capped peaks are whiter, and I’m sure the businesses along the way will be welcoming.

As for loading up the boat with provisions, when we first started cruising that is what we did too. However, speaking of businesses, at the years went buy we decided to provision with money and spend it along the way. This was our small way of helping to make “yachties” more welcome, particularly in the small communities, and of course be sure to mention you’re on a SAILboat.

For trip planning, the route I prefer to go northbound is to be on, or as near, the outside as possible because the direction and speed of the winds are consistent. As one goes inside the winds are influenced by mountains and canyons so they constantly change in direction and speed, as well as becoming more flukey.

Northbound via Laredo Sound east of Aristazabal Island and Nepean Sound, east of Banks Island, was a very good sail route even though we had to tack to weather, but the tacks were reasonably long. No swells, consistent wind, with lots of anchorages available.

Avoid the anchorage (Gillen Harbor) in Dewdney Island due to numerous huge horse flies. Ditto insects in Brundige Inlet on Dundas Island (probably not on your route anyway). My memory of Porcher Island to Prince Rupert was one of pea soup fog and lots of boat traffic! Avoid Grenville Channel - this is basically a very long motorboat show with lack of anchorages; we had one in 90 feet on a somewhat rocky bottom (could hear the chain rattling on the bottom as the boat moved around - not conducive to a good nights sleep).

A couple places I wanted to visit and never did was Langara Island and Masset. We did get to see the Golden Tree before someone cut it down. Also wanted to take a trip through Skidegate Channel and the Narrows but never did.

For the leg from Cape St. James to Cape Scott, the two tallest measured waves in the world (as of ~ 1992) occurred along this route. See page 106 of “Marine Weather Hazards Manual” 2nd edition. A drilling rig reported a wave nearly 30 meters high and later (not in the book) there was a higher wave over 100 feet reported.

In 1991 we were at Winter Harbor (I think around August 8 or so) when Solander Island weather station blew away at 103 knots. Oh yea, this is the GOOD time to be cruising, right? Late summer (August) seems to have some very nasty wind storms.

On another trip the dock at Shearwater blew away and this was also in August. Typically the commercial fishing boats flock there when they hear of a serious storm but I don’t know how they faired. Fortunately we were anchored out a little further north.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi John
Thanks for the tips. We try to pick weather windows all the time. So far so good.
I remember those big waves out there.... the weather people didn't believe waves got that big and had all the bouys picked up and sent back to have their accelerometers checked. All +/_ 10%.
West coast is not noted for summer storms but lots of fog so the radar should get lots of use or we will spend lots of time in port. Nice to be retired so time isn't an issue.
Mike

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
In the case of the August storm, prior to it arriving, we were at Sea Otter Cove and that morning the wind was out of the northwest blowing at 24 knots but with a clear blue sky and little white caps in the anchorage. Most boats were on the mooring buoys and we had a trimaran on a buoy on each side of us.

There was just something about that morning I didn’t care for and wanted to get going buy my wife said she wanted to tidy up the galley and stow everything. What was about an hour later (seemed like eternity) we finally got under way. In the meantime all the other boats had left except for the one tri on our port side. By then the wind had died down to something like 21 knots. “See, I told you so! Not to worry!” she said.

As we sailed down the coast the wind became lighter and lighter and the sky became less blue, you know, the northwest “blue-white” kind of sky. Then one could see the mares tails. We were flying the chute and there was only a very small swell left over from earlier that day. Finally the boat speed dropped so low that it was time to take the chute down and fire up the Yanmar.

Not much later the wind shifted to out of the southwest and little cats paws started appearing on the glassy surface. A few miles later, maybe 20 minutes or so, we rounded the lighthouse to Winter Harbor and it was blowing something 21 knots with whitecaps everywhere. By the time we got into the marina, what, about 6 miles in, the wind was howling well up in the 20s and the sea in the inlet was probably around 3 feet.

Some blokes from Salt Spring Island on a Niagara ~35 (?) we rafted two boats in on the dock and they kindly allowed us to raft onto them, making us the third boat, but there was a couple fishing boats also rafted 3 in but their draft was less. The Niagara had earlier followed us (raced us???) around Cape Scott from Bull harbor the previous day and followed us into Sea Otter Cove that afternoon.

The storm came in two parts. Sunday it blew like crazy and Monday the grocery store opened around noon or 1 PM. At that time we had an ice box so stayed for the ice and decided to go the next day because there wasn’t enough time left to round Brooks. Two Sea Birds (bluewater boats, about 36 feet with cutaway keels) who were buddy-boating left to round Brooks but I think everyone else decided to stay.

That night the second part of the storm hit and that was when Solander blew away.

A couple days later we and the Niagara left and we quickly wound up in pea soup fog. The Niagara had Loran (GPS didn’t exist in ’91) and they allowed us to follow them. The Niagara is a high-aspect double spreader rig and when I was standing in the cockpit and both boats were in the bottom of the swell, the crest of the swell (there really wasn’t any wind) left over from the storm clipped their TOP spreader! How high is that? I’m guessing the swell crests were probably over 30 feet, maybe 35 feet???

It was totally pea soup and I had to almost ride their stern to keep them in sight. Powered up the swell then throttled back on the downhill side to keep from running into them. Rounded Brooks without ever seeing it.

The storm caused debris everywhere, all the driftwood on the shore as well as new debris floated on the surface and had to be avoided. The ocean water was a muddy color and all the kelp marking rocks had been blown off. It was like this all the way down to Tofino.

The two Seabirds: They aborted their rounding of Brooks Pen. went into Klaskish Inlet. One tied onto a storm buoy along with a fishing boat while the other anchored. The fishing boat had a hand-held anemometer and got 88 knots on the deck. The other Sea Bird had to anchor and dragged anchor until (he said) the stern almost hit the rocks when it finally held. The wind would blow one direction then switch 90º to another direction causing the swells to break into the cockpit (no walk through transom).

The trimaran that was the last boat left in Sea Otter Cove?: As we cruised down the west coast of Vancouver Island there became a, I think, Pan Pan (or something like that) about a missing or overdue trimaran for many days. The boat was eventually found floating upside down in Queen Charlotte Sound but, if I remember correctly, the crew was saved.

And remember, this was early August, the GOOD time to cruise.

In the Charlottes (1993) we participated with one other boat and the Coast Guard in a kayak rescue. A large group of kayakers from Alberta charted a Queen Charlotte guide company and two of them became missing. They were eventually found. One of them was rescued while the other one died of hypothermia. This was another day of high winds, huge waves, and more pea soup fog. This time we had a brand new radar (and needed it!) and a brand new Magellan 4000 GPS (which didn’t work very well when it was wet, like heavy fog or rain).

So, yes, while this is not considered the stormy time they do happen so don’t let your guard down. With today’s weather satellites and better forecasting, it should be better.