sump pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monty VM

my sump pump began surging and blowing the panel fuse. when I turn it on, it will read 10 apms, drop to about 4 when it shuts off and then start surging until it blows the circuit. albeit with out much skill, I wired in a new pump, and isolated the float switch and neither action cured the problem. has anyone experienced this surge in power and if so what was the fix, any ideas appreciated.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The problem may be that you don't have

a high enough lift for the pump. I know this sounds crazy but..... centrifigal pumps draw more current when pumping against a low head than they do when pumping against a high head. So reduce the size of the pipe on the discharge side of the pump by one size, i.e. if you are running 1 inch pipe go to 3/4 inch pipe. No matter how silly this sounds try it. If you stopper the end of a vacuum cleaner hose the motor speed increases because the blower is not moving any air, therefore it isn't doing any work. If you choke the output of a centrifugal pump you get the same result, can't move as much water , less work , lower load, lower current draw.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
follow up

thanks I will check it out. I should have mentioned that the pump has been in place for at least 5 years without any problems, does that effect the recommendation on hose size?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Hose, pipe all the same to me.

since you apparently can measure the current draw just choke down the outlet a little and see if that helps. Any sort of a partial plug will work for the test..

Status
Not open for further replies.