Suggestions for new Catalina 30 owner...???

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Recommendations for who to use for and or what brand for certain items including:
Any upgrade ideas/suggestions for comfort or functionality on this model of boat? I love the swim platform we added.
Complete dodger and bimini? It came on our boat see above. I can not imagine not having one in the early spring and fall.
Type and size solar panels for arch? I do not have any solar panel as we stay on charge at the marina. I don't have any power issues. we run two batteries a 27 and a 29. All my lights are now Led.
Add a permanent generator or not? Not much room for one. Maybe a Honda portable but only if I wanted to run AC at anchor. We only run our AC at dockside. At anchor we usually have a breeze and go for a swim if hot.
Above sink shelving? It would depend on how many people you have on board at one time. I carry plates and cups for 4. I don't need more room than a cup and plate holder mounted on the cockpit wall.
Full duct'ed A/C system or smaller portable unit? Full ducted unit ours was installed in the hanging locker 12000 BTU. One duct forward to V berth and one large rear in side of hanging locker. return drawn through louver door of locker.
Fix older alder refrigeration system or upgrade to newer model? We use the old ice box. I looked in to refrigeration but two much of a energy hog. Although a dock refrigerator would be nice.
Add a separate battery for the refrigerator or not? Will you be in a slip with electric or out on a mooring ball?
Lifelines...new or used? New when you can afford them.
Best place to buy used sailboat items? Sailboat swap shop on facebook and craigslist.
Awlgrip or other form of painting the hull? Stay away from paint till you have no other choice. I have had good luck with a paint called perfection on my other boat. Once you paint you are married to the brush for touch ups.
New counter tops...corian or?? Once all the other things like rigging and motor mounts and water pumps and running lines and bilge pumps and lights and wiring and radios and GPS and .... you get the point.
Best ports to use when replacing originals?
Any wiring suggesting when upgrading all electrical? Marine grade.
Recommendations for who to use for and or what brand for certain items including: Use and enjoy the boat and replace the things that you feel need to be replaced. Do not start haphazardly spending money make a plan first. Figure out how you will use the boat. Its always about compromise.

More to come I am sure. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.

Apr 18, 2012
Catalina 400 MKI 67 LaSalle,Mi
My favorite upgrade that I waited 2 years to long for was an autopilot. It is nice to not be tied to the wheel we are forced to motor from lack of wind on our longer cruises. Lazy jack type system is nice to have also.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Best upgrade for me was the Garhauer traveler. Available from Garhauer or Catalina Direct. Easy install. My traveler line is continuos and runs back to the helm. I use the traveler more than the mainsheet. You don't need the risers and runs about $350. Easy install on your current traveler track. I also didn't like the mainsheet running to a winch and used a tripple block with a cam. Can adjust the main from the helm. Example below. Don't know the specific model size. Sheaves about 3 in. I would recommend a separate starting battery instead of for the refrigerator.

b

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Best upgrade for me was the Garhauer traveler. Available from Garhauer or Catalina Direct. Easy install. My traveler line is continuos and runs back to the helm. I use the traveler more than the mainsheet. You don't need the risers and runs about $350. Easy install on your current traveler track. I also didn't like the mainsheet running to a winch and used a tripple block with a cam. Can adjust the main from the helm. Example below. Don't know the specific model size. Sheaves about 3 in. I would recommend a separate starting battery instead of for the refrigerator.

b
Ditto