Suggestions for new Catalina 30 owner...???

Nov 3, 2016
Catalina 30 Destin
I am the proud new owner of a 1987 Catalina 30 tall rig.I want to upgrade many things on the boat as I plan to have it for some time. Any suggestions to the following would be greatly appreciated.

Recommendations for who to use for and or what brand for certain items including:
Any upgrade ideas/suggestions for comfort or functionality on this model of boat?
Complete dodger and bimini?
Type and size solar panels for arch?
Add a permanent generator or not?
Above sink shelving?
Full duct'ed A/C system or smaller portable unit?
Fix older alder refrigeration system or upgrade to newer model?
Add a separate battery for the refrigerator or not?
Lifelines...new or used?
Best place to buy used sailboat items?
Awlgrip or other form of painting the hull?
New counter tops...corion or??
Best ports to use when replacing originals?
Any wiring suggesting when upgrading all electrical?

More to come I am sure. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I've had my 1980 C-30 for a 4 years now. Don't go overboard early - find out what you really need/want. Just use it and fix what breaks until you learn what you like/don't like about the boat.

I like my dodger, would hate a bimini except at anchor.

No perm generator - the boat's not that big and a generator is expensive. (like the cost of my boat expensive)

Portable A/C - easy to rig through the fw hatch. Dunno where'd you install a ducted unit.

One big battery bank. I've got 2 GC2s under the nav table and a spare G24 under the stbd setee. I don't really need the G24, I could easily just have a portable jumpstarter thing for backup. Also have 120W of solar and a fridge. I turn the fridge off at night if not hooked to shore power. I just have the panel mounted to the aft rail.

Fix or new? Up to you, your checkbook, and the condition of the thing being fixed.

Awlgrip? Big $$$$ to be done pro. Read the forums about painting the hull/deck. Lots of different opinions. If you can afford a pro Awlgrip job, I'm thinkin you shoulda bought a newer boat.

Learn to splice dyneema and use that for new lifelines. I like my dyneema lifelines.

Do all electrical upgrades to ABYC standards, upgrade all fusing. Fuse the batteries correctly. I completely rewired my boat, 'cause it was horrible. Read all about what you should do on Maine Sail's site: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
No matter what else it may need or what you can delay, if you're planning to use the boat immediately the first thing you need to do is make sure you have a toilet and plumbing system that works...not just "barely works" but one you can count on to be trouble free. It would be nice if it's also odor free, but we can work on that later.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I was guessin based on the questions posed that this was for a cruiser, not a racer.

IMHO, dyneema is fine for lifelines, easier to see degradation over plastic covered wire, no fishhooks to cut my hand, easier DIY, etc.. Heck, folks use it for standing rigging. Doesn't work in situations it's going to get chafed through though. I'd guess the racing bodies are most concerned as a hazard for crew hiking. (many think dyn is as safe as stainless, but there's plenty of raging arguments about that on more race-centered boards, no need to repeat it here)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I replaced my plastic covered lifelines with SSwire. Played with the idea of dynema. Decided the SS was less expensive over lifetime. Used dynema for the gates. They are cool. Got great price for my 35 ft boat from West Marine. Ready in 7 days. Great product. Easy install.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
somebody out there hates biminis? self tailers too?
I don't overall hate bimini's, just that I wouldn't want one on my boat. I like to be out in the sun when I'm sailing, and like easy sight of the sails. Nice at anchor tho.

I love self tailers. Put two brand-new lewmar ST40's on my boat. For those in socal, Minnies commonly has new lewmar winches at at least 50% off. (They were cheaper than a set of used ones.)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
jssailem thanks. is the ss wire coated?
No. The previous life lines were coated. When I got the boat they were sagging, breaking down (cracking) and rusted in many places. I've learned that even stainless rusts when denied oxygen. WM in Seattle uses an hydraulic press to swage the fittings. Neat and solid construction. Hope they last for many years. I bought the center close pelican hooks. A bit more expensive but in use well worth the cost.

SBO has swage ones for sale
IMG_1489.JPG
I found that Johnson Marine makes one for use with dynema line instead of the swage fitting. Tie a lanyard on the end and you in business

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
We have had our 88 Catalina 30 for 10 years and it more comfortable, beautiful and easier to sail due to the things we changed. I agree with those who have comments to sail and enjoy it for a while and the changes you want will bubble to the surface pretty quickly. Some will be a choice some, a must! An Odor free and well working head is a must.
Some of the changes we made in approximate order done:

- aqua lift muffler ( was cracked and leaked heavily while motoring)
-replaced lifelines with uncoated SS ( huge improvement, still love them and they look and feel great.
-SS keelbolts
- replaced rubrail ( cosmetic but great change, used grey to replace)
-replaced entire toilet just cause it was the same price as the repair kit.
-canvas covers all, plus covered cockpit pads. ( one of the best things we did. Stay dry, cool or warm vs vinyl) still look new. Use constantly.
-replaced wheel with a folding wheel from Lewmar. Love it every time we go out.
-added nova foam to V berth (Fabulous)
-new headsails, first 155, later 135
-Boot stripe (and the one up by the rub rail too)
-Back stay, traveler and main sheet reworked

Besides all the normal upkeep, next up is folding prop, SS shaft so we go faster sailing and especially motoring. Love our boat and enjoy keeping her in good shape!
Ps... No Bimini or dodger for us and dislike them on boats we crew on... Though I'm sure the protection is nice on long races.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
My wife and I just bought a 1992 Catalina 30 Tall rig and I also suggest sailing the boat for a bit before opening up your wallet. Its interesting what I thought was important evolved into something completely different a few short months later. I did decide to order a Strong Track system to go with my new main sail. The PO must have bought a used sail for a standard rig because the main stopped about 2' short the top of the mast. I had the mast stepped this fall upon haul out for inspection and will add wind instrumentation and a windex light as well. I reworked the line on the vang (got a set of fids and learned to splice eyes in double braided rope...highly recommend learning to do this, very rewarding. Hell, I even know how to splice a soft shackle on the end of a rope now) Reworked the main and traveler sheets as well. Old stuff was getting crusty and was difficult to trim in light conditions. Wife wants to add faux teak (snap in) for the sole of the cabin so we'll use the old carpet for a template. I have some minor crazing to repair on the starboard aft side of the haul, which domino'd into stripping the and repainting the haul and keel as well as removing and re-seating all through hauls. NO leaks at this time but why not do the whole job at once a be done with it for awhile?
Make a list...and prioritize it. It will be ever changing and you'll likely add 2 new items for every one you check off. =) Hence B-O-A-T, Break Out Another Thousand. Enjoy the list and working through it as a process, its part of the fun don't rush it. Oh, and here in Michigan a full enclosure is a season extender. We sailed on some brisk fall days the first part of November and were in t-shirts in the enclosure at 45 outside and a stiff breeze. PO even had bug screen which is awesome in the slip. Great for cruising not so much for racing but they come off and on easy enough.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Afternoon delight  in slip.jpg

By far the best upgrade on my 1989 TR is the swim platform. Since we bought our boat we have done the following.
New cutlass and shaft
new motor mounts
new main sail
new furler
new standing rig
new VHF radia
new GPS
New depth transponder
new UV cover on head sail

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
The platform is basicly custom. I had the brackets made by a welder friend and the platform came from plasteak.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I agree with Jeep about the rewire, we did literally every wire on the boat.

Here is my opinion on things. Keep in mind our boat stays at the dock a lot, we are lucky to go out once a month. We did have a time before the baby when we took longer trips. We are in Florida so..

• Bimini- A must, can be rolled up and to protect it and extend its life.
  • Dodger- Why? it is Florida
  • Air- have a portable hose type, it is horrible, want to install a proper marine unit under the Vberth
  • Solar- We have 50watts tied to the traveler, stow it underway and when a hurricane blows thru. No need for shore power and the motor has an alternator so, will put 200watts on the Bimini when we start going to the Bahamas
  • No fridge, we have a nice cooler with wheels
  • Bug screens and 12volt fans really help on nights out on the hook, also having a Coleman appliance that keeps the bugs away is nice
  • 60 gallons of fresh water in 2 tanks is nice

Last edited: