Suggestions for H34 Genoa size

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Hi All... after the tornado and having to replace the furler, BTW, I'm going with the Hood Seafurl 5 253 replacement plan... Since they don't offer replacement parts for the old 810, they offer the replacement at a very aggressive price.

Anyway... I've decided that it's time to replace the head sail. We never race and only coastal cruise. Any thoughts as to the right size? What size do you use? Are you happy with it?
Thanks... Jon

Last edited:

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Mark... Our winds on a sailing day generally vary between 10 & 20 knots..... though it's not unusual to be gusting into the mid 20's -Jon

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you single or short hand a lot, a 110 will be easier to handle and provide good visibility from the cockpit...... A 110 with a full roach main is my preference for single or short handed sailing in moderate conditions. But I see you're in west coast fla.. so a 135 you can roll up to 110 might be a better choice.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I use a 110.. in as much wind as you are stating, first reef in main and full 110. Our conditions are generally lighter and a 110 is a bit small for 8-10 G 15. Glad to hear that Hood is offering a good deal on replacing the old furler..

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Late to the party, but I don't have an H34. Your choice of furlers says it is designed to reef as well as furl. Do you want to limit yourself to a 110 if the wind goes lighter? Just a thought.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have h34 and I have both 110 and 150
The 110 is good in the spring and late fall when the winds an my area are heavier 25-35 knots average. The 150 is great for the summer months when the winds are lighter 10-15 knots average.
I tend to used my 150 more often due to the lighter air.
I had a newer 150 made with multiple weight sail cloth with the heavier cloth on the outer edge for when I reef. Some people will arguably disagree with this concept but I don't race anymore, so I sacrifice a little sail shape for convenience. Changing sail as all if us know is not hard to do but it's a PITA , let's face it I am at a point in my life now that I have better things to do with my time an energy . Between taking the old sail down, folded, bagged, and stored away and putting the other one on.

After having the newer 150 made I used it almost 100% of the time now. If I were to make it again I would have a clear window installed because it is a little difficult to see under while sailing in congested waters as I do.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Hi All... after the tornado and having to replace the furler, BTW, I'm going with the Hood Seafurl 5 253 replacement plan... Since they don't offer replacement parts for the old 810, they offer the replacement at a very aggressive price.

Anyway... I've decided that it's time to replace the head sail. We never race and only coastal cruise. Any thoughts as to the right size? What size do you use? Are you happy with it?
Thanks... Jon
I too went with the Hood Seafurl 5 to replace my 810 and you are right, they gave me a big discount for the old 810. You will love your new seafurl compared to the old one. I changed my genoa from a 150 to a 135 and wouldn't go back to the 150 since I do a lot of tacking on the lake that I'm on. I just sail for fun and don't race and find the 135 to be easier to handle especially when the wind pipes up.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I have h34 and I have both 110 and 150
Capt. Thank you for your input... While the 150 seems a bit large for my sailing style... I began reconsidering the 135 after reading everyone's comments. As you point out it's sometimes difficult in congested waters, so instead of a window, I'm thinking about having they cut it high... Any thoughts on a high cut versus a window? -Jon

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I too went with the Hood Seafurl 5 to replace my 810
Barnstormer... I'm actually relieved to hear from someone who went from the 810 to the Seafurl 5. How do you compare it to the continuous line furler? Is it easy to reef? I've actually never used a single line furler..... Thanks... Jon

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Capt. Thank you for your input... While the 150 seems a bit large for my sailing style... I began reconsidering the 135 after reading everyone's comments. As you point out it's sometimes difficult in congested waters, so instead of a window, I'm thinking about having they cut it high... Any thoughts on a high cut versus a window? -Jon
I always heard windows aren't a good idea with a furler. The plastic doesn't furl evenly with the sail.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Barnstormer... I'm actually relieved to hear from someone who went from the 810 to the Seafurl 5. How do you compare it to the continuous line furler? Is it easy to reef? I've actually never used a single line furler..... Thanks... Jon
My old furler just had one line (800 maybe?) and worked o.k. but was 20yrs old and when I got a halyard wrap I told myself that is not happening again! I installed a halyard restrainer and a new seafurl 5 and its a world of difference. I have read numerous comments about problems with the Hood continuous line furlers and that is why Hood had a retrofit to change them to single line. Most furlers are single line and when set up correctly they are easy to control.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I like the 135 for sailing below 20 kts, but I find the original winch size a bit too small. Remember the winch and sail sizes are a couple...

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Splax... Hmmmmm and to think I almost took advantage of WM's 2 for 1 deal for upgraded winches a few weeks ago..... So... I'm now somewhere between a 110 & 135....... I am waiting for the new furler to be installed so I can get an exact measurement and will hopefully be ordering by the end of next week....... So which one would you order? Thanks Jon

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
130 with foam luff. Mine works beautifully. I can role it up to 100% and it still works very well. In 10 to 15 knots I can do hull speed on a close reach. I also up graded the primary winches years ago with Harken 46's. My boat came with an up graded forestay and a size 2 Harken furler. It has never given me a problem.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thank you Heart! Did you have the 130 with the original winches? How did those work? Thanks.. Jon

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Jon,
I was considering taking advantage of that special, but I didn't think it applied to the
HARKEN #35 Two-Speed Performa Self-Tailing Winch , which I think would be a good choice for the 135 in brisk air. The Maxwell 25's are barely enough to kedge off when aground, not that I specifically have personal knowledge of that particular situation.

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I didn't have the new 130 with the original winches but did had an old 135. It was a struggle to sheet it in with the Maxwells, that and the fact that the North American winch handles were sloppy made me decide to upgrade to the larger winches. My wife likes them a whole lot more as well as she is generally the one who has to do the sheeting.