Registered users don't see ads

Stupid Things I Have Done #1,653

Discussion in 'Sails Call Lounge' started by Rick D, May 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    1,992 posts, 207 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Ventura Harbor
    Not on an outboard. The kill switch (plunger) normally springs in to kill the engine. You hold it out by sliding that black clip on the lanyard between the button of the plunger and the engine itself. (See post #8.) You attach the other end, the metal part, to yourself--your clothing, like a shirt sleeve. The idea is that if you somehow fall out of the dink with the outboard running the lanyard will pull out the black clip; the plunger springs in, and the engine is shut off. For two reasons. One--that a run-away dink with its engine at full throttle does not swing around and run over you. Two-with it stopped you can swim over to it and get back in. With the kill switch clip inserted you can push with your thumb the red plunger in far enough to kill the engine, and when you let go it will spring back out from the pressure of the (plastic) clip re-gaining its normal shape. If an outboard engine has the black clip inserted at the kill switch but with the (safety) lanyard removed it might appear to work as you describe.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM
  2. Jongleur

Jongleur

Joined Feb 15, 2014
    167 posts, 9 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Bremerton, WA
    Yup. Got that on an outboard. I am fervent
    believer in using the deadman clip on them.
    OP appeared to be talking about an inboard
    diesel.

3. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    1,992 posts, 207 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Ventura Harbor
    Yeah--but some of the later examples of "Stupid Things..." referred to kill switches of outboards. So, you may have mixed-up portions of the various posts in the thread.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 11:10 AM
  4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    2,011 posts, 335 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    I have learned the signs of fuel filter blockage through a previous experience :yikes:... So as I headed out across the Strait of Juan D'Fuca a little over week ago and heard a cough :( from the usually steady diesel, I immediately shut down the engine and shouted to my fellow cruise mates on Mahalo. "I have an issue here. Need to change the fuel filter. Take about 20 minutes.":redface: The crew on Mahalo said they would hang about. It was a beautiful sunny day and the Strait was unusually flat. I dove into the engine space and did the filter change in record time. 10 minutes later I was up and starting the motor hoping I had shut down in time to avoid bleeding the fuel lines.

Starter button.. the engine started on the first compression. Yeah.:dancing: Lets be off...

We began our 2 hour crossing... 10 minutes later Cough... cough... Oh NO:yikes::yikes:... This time it had to be something more complex... Mahalo threw me a tow line and his Admiral came aboard to guide my boat in tow. We set up the tow and I went back into the engine compartment to access the issue.

Had to be a fuel issue. So I opened the starboard tank. I thought there would be 10-15 gallons there according to my calculations... BONE DRY... Opps...:banghead:
    Checking the Port tank... 70 plus gallons... Ok I guess my math was off. :doh:
    Switch tanks.. Pump pump pump the lift pump.. Try the starter... This may take a while. Pump pump pump the lift pump.. Try the starter... Repeat.... 15 minutes later... Cough.. vroooooommmmm Oh Boy..

The rest of the trip was smooth. I need to review my math on fuel consumption.

Rick D likes this.
  5. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,615 posts, 126 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Hi John, way too funny. Could have been worse, but not.

6. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,242 posts, 594 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    That's why I was surprised when it wouldn't start. I pushed and pushed with all my might. Wouldn't turn over or cough or anything.

Rick D likes this.
  7. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    609 posts, 112 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Sammamish, WA Everett, WA
    Best part was I had several hours alone to contemplate the wonders of the sea. Worst part was no one to line handle when we docked. ;) (Do not tell Trish I said that)

Les

jssailem and Rick D like this.
  8. WayneH

WayneH

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    517 posts, 23 likes
    Tartan 37
    US Texas Hill Country Pensacola Shipyard, FL
    I know I already wrote one story so this happened to someone else. ;) My friend did his normal preheat of the engine and then turned the key to start it. Grind, grind, grind. Maybe it needs more preheat. Grind, grind, grind. Ah come on. The engine is rarely this hard to start and only in the winter. Shouldn't have this problem in June. About this time, his Admiral asks him if the shutdown cable is pulled up. Naw, I always...... dammit. Push, turn key and engine purrs.

9. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    2,011 posts, 335 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    What is discussed on the forum stays on the forum...:biggrin:

10. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,615 posts, 126 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Trish, oh Trish. I have a secret that I'm not supposed to tell you. :dancing:

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.