Stuffing Box Material

Aug 19, 2004
Hunter 35 Vancouver, BC
My 1989 H35.5 has had a plastic stuffing box, presumably Marlon, since I bought it over 15 years ago. The surveyor recently condemned this material! Was this the original spec for this boat or have the standards changed?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I think you are talking about Marelon? There are those that like it and those that don't.

I'm trying to understand what you are asking - did your marine surveyor say your specific stuffing box needs to be changed? Or did that marine surveyor say that this is a bad material choice? Those are two very different things.

dj

Aug 19, 2004
Hunter 35 Vancouver, BC
The surveyor said that the stuffing box needed to be changed out because of its condition but he also indicated that the plastic material did not meet code and never has done - which was a bit of a surprise to say the least!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So sounds like you need to change your stuffing box. I personally wouldn't use Marelon in that specific application, I'd use bronze. I have no idea if it is or is not code. At this point, don't see that it matters much - if it needs to be changed - I think you should change it. If it was, or was not, up to code is kind of a moot point.

Are you selling? Is that why you've had a survey?

dj

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Is the stuffing box leaking more than a drip? Is the marelon material looking like it is getting ready to crack? If in doubt you could always get a 2nd opinion about its condition. To be honest I have never dealt with a marelon stuffing box but if it were me I would seek information about them, a) what is their anticipated useful life b) are they still around or was it an application done for a couple of years that did not pan out c) what is the incidence and types of failures. The old trusted standard is bronze but can see Hunter testing cheaper alternatives. If you find any indications that the part may have exceeded its anticipated useful life or that failures may come without adequate warnings then I would promptly replace. My concerns with marelon valves is maintenance or repairs, it seems that after a few years it may be difficult to loosen a tight nut without breaking it. Make an informed decision. Not necessarily correct but the take on marelon boxes by insurance companies could be a defining factor. In other words It does not matter if they work or not if the insurance companies refuse to accept them for coverage then it will have to be replaced.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
A lot of Hunters (like my 1986 28.5) came with an OEM white Marelon stuffing box. While I think this material holds up relatively well, the problem I had with it was that it made replacing the packing material almost impossible. It had a washer in between to layers of packing material (see pic). I changed it out for a conventional bronze gland that I believe is stronger and much easier to replace the packing material.

Attachments