Stuffing Box-Hunter 42 Passage

Nov 4, 2010
Hunter 42 Passage Southern Maryland
I need to replace my packing on my stuffing box. What size packing do I need and any friendly advice? Many thanks.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Check out Youtube for some how to videos. Usually you need 1/4 to 5/16" packing. It can be done with the boat in the water if you have the stomach for it. Make sure your bilge pump is working first.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Also, after you have repacked the stuffing box and tightened it and it is all good with no leaks keep an eye on it. After a few hours of use it will need to be retightened.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Art, correct size for our P42 is 3/16", which has the standard bronze type box. I use the PTFE material as it is less prone to friction and seems to do a better job preventing sea water passing by the packing material. Ours was last done in 2011 and will do it again next year when I haul the boat to redo the bottom. Some pointers that seem to work for me:

1. Service wrenches of the correct size have worked best. https://www.bing.com/shop?q=service...&originIGUID=D4AED6A013D7462BB7A81BB93811C90B Different sizes; one is 2" and the other 2-1/16th" as I recall. Measure to be sure. I also picked up two pieces of scrap SS tubing that slides onto the handle for additional leverage. Pipe, adjustable and related type wrenches have not worked very well because of the limited working space.

2. Difficult to get the old material out due to the cramped engine room quarters. A dental pick has worked in the past, or a long small diameter wood screw.

3. Install one ring at a time, press it back with the box then back it off and put the second ring on, and so forth. Three rings work.

4. Apply a liberal amount of anti-sieze compound (local auto supply store) to the threads and where the lock nut face touches the box.

5. Once installed, hand tighten, then check it again after a few hours of run time after the new material has had a chance to settle in.

Please let us know how it goes.

P.S. Some say you can do it with the boat in the water, but I do mine while out. PITA regardless.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Why aren't you going dripless?
Installed properly, they are never an issue, and zero water in the bilge.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Changing to a dripless is on this winter's work list .......along with new motor mounts and a new cutless bearing

Matt

Mika1

Nov 2, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Colorado
I'd like to replace my stuffing box with a dripless unit as part of this year's maintenance too. I have a problem though - the boat's stored in the VI and because of the hurricanes I don't want to trust that the chandleries there will stock what I need. So I'm trying to pre-purchase as many things as I can and then carry them with me. Unfortunately, I don't have measurements or know the dimensions for the shaft/log. Could someone share those dimensions or let me know which PSS shaft seal to buy?

Dec 25, 2000
I'd like to replace my stuffing box with a dripless unit as part of this year's maintenance too.
Dripless unit sort of like a bow thruster, nice to have, but really an unnecessary expenditure, IMHO. Original stuffing box works just fine here and a bow thruster just adds to the clutter as opposed to understanding how to maneuver your boat in wind/current conditions.

Mika1

Nov 2, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Colorado
I appreciate your input Terry. I've gained a lot from your experience already shared through owner mods and other posts. (Not to mention your sailing vids) I've gained a lot from artboas as well, who's shared his own opinion here as well. Honestly I'm still on the fence about whether to go dripless or not. With either style of stuffing box for a 1-1/4" shaft, common hose sizes are 2-1/4", 2-3/8", and 2-1/2". Without being able to measure my shaft log, does anyone know what hose size fits the P42? I haven't found anything definitive from other posts or internet searches and think it'd be a benefit to people like me who are looking for this in the future.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
For me, at least part of the decision to go dripless is how difficult it is to service the existing stuffing box. On my boat the stuffing box is very easy to inspect visually but to actually reach it to adjust it requires a boat Yoga move on the upper end of the scale. Essentially it requires me to dive down into the engine compartment at a 45 deg. , using 1 hand to brace myself once I reach a position where I can work on the stuffing box., Of course, this then only leaves me 1 hand to work with.

A previous boat came with a dripless installed and it was flawless for all the years we owned the boat. Is it an absolute necessity? No, but not having to dive down there on a regular basis sure is worth it for me.

Cheers

Matt

Dec 25, 2000
I appreciate your input Terry.
You are most welcome. Glad all that stuff has been of some help. No help here on the shaft log, sorry. Perhaps another owner can chime in. Slim chance, but Marlow Hunter Customer Service might be of some help.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Why aren't you going dripless?
Installed properly, they are never an issue, and zero water in the bilge.
In the dripless charter there is also the Volvo solution, easy to install and it has to be changed every 5 years according to Volvo. They of course don't stick out their neck. But my neighbour had an 18 years! old Volvo in his boat and he was still collecting dust in his bilge. I installed a Volvo to replace the stuffing box. The only required maintenance is a bit of grease once a year and "burping" the joint when the boat is back in the water from the hard.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ok, let me talk a little more about stuffing boxes versus dripless
I used to own a CS.
Always had water in the bilge, because as we know, for stuffing box to work properly, you need to let it weep a bit.
Which of course means you are always inspecting, and adjusting it. (Assuming you are into PM)
Bought my Hunter 40.5. It came with a stuffing box.
At commissioning I insisted on a PPS dripless seal. I was told by the dealer, "hey you're looking fir problems. All the other boats have the regular stuffing boxes, and you just have to occasionally adjust it"
I stood my ground, and had it put in. This was in 1994, and PPS were still a little new into the market.
Every fall I "burped" the coupling, (after haul out), and same thing at launch.
Never had 1 second's problem, and not a drop in the bilge ever.
In my opinion, money well spent for all the right reasons. No maintenance. No worries
Now, my 40.5 did not have a bow thruster. I did however put on a 3 bladed Max prop at commissioning.
I can categorically tell you this.
If I did not have the max prop, I would have spent thousands in gel coat repairs. Having no prop walk in reverse, being able to stop dead straight, etc, was a piece of essential safety gear in my opinion; not a luxury option.
I've been running boats since age 10. With a heavy boat, high freeboard, you cannot count on luck, or just revving up your engine until the smoke pours out.
The max prop was a tool; just like a good anchor versus the cheap danforth I got as stock.
Now I have a 49. If my thruster packed it it, I'd postpone cruising until it was fixed. Same reason. I don't have control over wind & weather. Coming into a slip at 1/2 knot while the wind is pushing you the wrong way is way too nerve wracking on a 33000 lb boat. So, it's a tool, just like having brakes on my car.
When you get to certain size boats, you can't fend off a dock with your foot any more.
So, thrusters aren't luxury items. They are for safety & piece of mind.