STS Alberto or Invest 90

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was just watching TWC who are having a good time with this storm. They have the usual characters standing on a Beach near Panama City warning of the dire events that could occur, while children wade in the surf in the background. While the talk is about high surf, riptides and storm surge the visual is of children playing. You'd think they'd at least shoo those kids out of there to make their narrative more believable. To anyone who has damage or, God forbid, injury from this storm you have my apologies. But it is ridiculous how they weave a story out of a placid ocean.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You want to know where the storm center will hit?
Jim Cantore of TWC.
He will be standing on the beach, broadcasting.
Jim...

PS: He was in Biloxi two days ago.;)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I was just watching TWC who are having a good time with this storm. They have the usual characters standing on a Beach near Panama City warning of the dire events that could occur, while children wade in the surf in the background. While the talk is about high surf, riptides and storm surge the visual is of children playing. You'd think they'd at least shoo those kids out of there to make their narrative more believable. To anyone who has damage or, God forbid, injury from this storm you have my apologies. But it is ridiculous how they weave a story out of a placid ocean.
For sure. We must remember that these people are actors/TV personalities/jounalists/scientists in that order. Their careers advance up a strange ladder which rewards sensationalism and TV performance, as opposed to scientific achievement. The scientists are at NWS and NHC. The TWC guys and gals rehash the scientific product and distribute it to consumers. It is far better to follow the local TV people or, better yet, the NWC and NHC directly, as James above does. Also, I find AccuWeather much more reliable. The Weather Channel was light years better before the acquisition by NBC. NBC fired all the real meteoroligists (at least the ones who were not attractive enough to meet NBC standards), then brought in all the phoney actors/actresses. The recent acquisition or partnership with Weather Underground is slowly destroying Wunderground as well.

Last edited:

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Alberto was pretty much a non-event in Pensacola. I've been in worse conditions from un-named tropical depressions. One good thing about the storm is now the dodger and bimini are home so we can refresh the waterproofing before we go back next month.