Strong Tracks

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Point Roberts
I am in the process of purchasing a Strong Track system for my 376 Hunter.
The manufacturer recommends that the top of Mast Gate must be at least 10" above the goose neck and at least 3" long (high). Mine is only 5" above the goose neck and 3" long. It looks like I have increase the mast gate opening (up) by 2"
Has anybody done this before? Maybe with a dremel?
Any suggestions?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I installed a Strong Track on my h40.5 back in 2000. I remember elongating the gate using a drill and a Dremel. I don't remember the distance requirements, but I would follow the recommendations. As I recall after the track is fed into the mast and after it is all of the way into the gate, it is pulled back down past the opening and the bottom of the track is locked into place. If you don't have sufficient clearance to the top of the gooseneck and boom it would be difficult to insert the sail into the track.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Point Roberts
I installed a Strong Track on my h40.5 back in 2000. I remember elongating the gate using a drill and a Dremel. I don't remember the distance requirements, but I would follow the recommendations. As I recall after the track is fed into the mast and after it is all of the way into the gate, it is pulled back down past the opening and the bottom of the track is locked into place. If you don't have sufficient clearance to the top of the gooseneck and boom it would be difficult to insert the sail into the track.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Point Roberts
Yes, I was thinking about a Dremel or...if I remove the the boom maybe just have enough distance between the deck and the mast gate to feed in the track. By the way , are you pleased with the strong track? Is it worth it?
Cheers, Gabor

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Yes, I was thinking about a Dremel or...if I remove the the boom maybe just have enough distance between the deck and the mast gate to feed in the track. By the way , are you pleased with the strong track? Is it worth it?
Cheers, Gabor
I don't think you want to remove the boom every time you need to install or remove the sail. Best to have it work without extra effort.
I very much liked the Strong Track. It was a huge improvement over the OEM track and slug system. Other systems have wheels and bearings and are more expensive but I liked the simplicity of the ST. It will still work better if you keep the track clean from dirt and salt deposits, but the slippery track and the long stainless slugs worked very well. It was one of the better purchases that I have made.
I no longer have the system. I changed my boom in 2015 for a Schaefer furling boom with new sails. The Schaefer system has its own track. I sold my OEM sails and Strong Track to another h40.5 owner. And I sold the boom to another party.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If the gap is not big enough, it is impossible to put the track in the groove!!

And yes, totally worth every penny.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We had one installed last April with the help of the sail loft that is building new sails for us over the winter. The gate on our 410 needed to be opened up higher by a few inches. We're really happy with the improved function. The sail used to hang up half way when being dropped. Now it will come down like a bag of concrete if you don't control the halyard. It is also really nice for making it easier to drop when reefing and there is still some load in the sail.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Point Roberts
We had one installed last April with the help of the sail loft that is building new sails for us over the winter. The gate on our 410 needed to be opened up higher by a few inches. We're really happy with the improved function. The sail used to hang up half way when being dropped. Now it will come down like a bag of concrete if you don't control the halyard. It is also really nice for making it easier to drop when reefing and there is still some load in the sail.
How did you open the mast gate? With a Dremel?

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I believe the sail loft guys did it with something a little larger. They taped their cut line, and used a very shallow cut angle grinder, followed by the dremel to finely finish the cut afterwards. They increased the size upwards about a 1/2" at a time until it was what was needed, then cleaned it up so there were not burrs or rough spots on the aluminum. Their crew does a lot of these installs, it took them under 3 hours to do everything. (They took the sail off, swapped the old slugs for the Tides sliders, cut the gate, installed the track, re-installed the mainsail, and even replaced the old main halyard.) Had it just been my wife and I doing this it would have been a full day. We used UK sails in Sidney, BC and couldn't have been happier with their service.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
My Cal 2-27 had one on it when I bought it. The PO had installed it but sold the boat to me before it went back in the water.
So far 5 years with it and essentially zero maintenance. Sail goes up with out the need of a winch and when I release the halyard it comes down, right now.
I'm hoping I can afford to add one to my Seawind MKII.