Strippers

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Ok...I know the title of the post was click bait, but I'm hoping someone can help.

I have Lewmar Wavegrip self-tailing winches. The 16ST has a broken stripper ring. The ring collar is intact. The triangular tab broke off so that the tailing line doubles up on itself and fouls in the jaws when I grind the winch. And I can't find a source for a replacement. Well...I did find P2 Marine website which will "manufacture" a replacement for about $200. Does anyone know a more economical source? It is part 15 below. I think the part number is 15000459. Googling didn't find much. I sat on hold with Lewmar for a while without reaching an agent and an email to Lewmar tech support last Thursday has gone unanswered. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You Know there is a place in Dante’s Hell for click bait artists....

No answer but maybe a link to some help.
I looked through this article https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/older-lewmar-winches.133059/ which covered the servicing of winches like yours. MaineSail (on this forum) may be a resource. He mentioned repairing a pair of Lewmar 16’s and that they were built in England. There may still be parts out there. They may cost as much as the offer from P2 Marine to find and ship. You may need to restrict your search to Lewmar UK rather than USA
Not sure of the material, (stainless, aluminum...) but you may be able to find a local metal shop that could fabricate the part for less than 200.
Still another idea would be to search consignment shops. You may find a serviceable winch there and you could strip the stripper and use it on your winch...

Now... next time...:worthless:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about someone with a 3D printer? You have the ring dimensions, do you have the broken tab? Is there a university nearby with an engineering program?

-Will (Dragonfly)

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
You see, this is why I love this site. Where else can you get hours of entertainment at this price???

Thanks to the folks who posted links to Lewmar repair parts. My concern is that those links are for parts to the Lewmar Ocean series ST Winch. Which is their more current line. I have the Wavegrip ST produced before 1991.

I'm fairly confident the parts aren't going to be interchangeable.

Here's a drawing of the Ocean Series for comparison:

The parts don't look the same to my eye. The dimensions aren't given here.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The two series are totally different. The Lewmar ocean winch series are works of art. They will end up in the sailing hall of fame. Launched in 1995, they are still current and state of the art.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Thanks to the folks who posted links to Lewmar repair parts. My concern is that those links are for parts to the Lewmar Ocean series ST Winch. Which is their more current line. I have the Wavegrip ST produced before 1991.

Call Lewmar at 203-458-6200 and talk to their tech department

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017

Call Lewmar at 203-458-6200 and talk to their tech department
Did call and waited 45 mins this time. I learned the winches have been discontinued for decades, the tooling is lost for all time, and they will custom machine a replacement for $198. That basically means look for a winch being sold for parts or save up to buy a replacement that has spares readily available.....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Where are all of the salvage parts from these hurricane boats? Surely someone is in the business of reclaiming and selling valuable hardware.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Lewmar part number is 15000459 and they have one in stock. It is the 4 Phillips head screws on top of the stripper

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Surely someone is in the business of reclaiming and selling valuable hardware.
Try calling the folks at 411Marine.com. Located in Hardeeville SC I suspect they are in the thick of boats and recovery parts. I called them when looking for a rubrail replacement. Good on th phone but not good with follow-up. Suspect they go from one current issue to the next. Call backs with help is not their thing. Not when your used to just putting out immediate fires.

If I was on the South East Coast, I would give them a shout. Further north I’d discover the wonders fo Bacon Sails in the Annapolis area.