stress cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jpinva

one less customer....

An interesting thread. I've been looking for a 17' open cockpit sloop rigged daysailer. Loved everything about the Hunter 170 - but I wondered about the long term issues that might be associated with the skin/foam core/glass construction...so I googled the topic and found this thread.

My suspicions have been confirmed!

I for one, will pass on this boat now. I'm sorry that you've had problems but take heart that your issues, and more importantly how you were treated by Hunter Marine has cost them at least one customer.

Jun 18, 2009
Hunter 170 Ottawa
jpinva:

That's good to hear. I'm glad we saved you the heartache associated with owning one of these Hunter ACP hulls. The only power we the "poor little customer" have left is the ability to share our Hunter war stories with others and hope the big execs at Hunter realize they can't get away with this kind of stuff forever.

Dec 6, 2009
Hunter h212 Nashville,TN
ACP blues

Just so you all know. Its not just the 170. I have a 2002 H212 that has two cabin top cracks full thickness about a foot long each. I also have cracks above each window. They appeared during the a mild winter in Nashville two years ago while stored on the tralier and covered. I have tried several methods of adhesives with no luck. I was looking into plastic welding when I stumbled upon this post. I have not had the boat in the water for the past two years. I can't stop it from cracking on the trailer so I figured sailing it would only make it worse. I wish a thousand times I had bought another Catalina after my last one was totaled at the slip. I thought the ACP would be as advertised.'Revolutionary' indeed!:cussing:

jpinva:

That's good to hear. I'm glad we saved you the heartache associated with owning one of these Hunter ACP hulls. The only power we the "poor little customer" have left is the ability to share our Hunter war stories with others and hope the big execs at Hunter realize they can't get away with this kind of stuff forever.

Jun 3, 2004
- - Sharon MA
I have a Hunter 170 purchased in 2000 and I had cracks the first year, the second and the third. I have fewer cracks now, but my hull is out of warranty and Hunter didn't continue to care after the first couple of years. The first couple of years I took it back to the factory which was in Connecticut then, and Hunter filled the cracks with plexus and painted over them. but they came back the next year.

I thought of writing to all the sailing magazines to see if they would print anything about the problem and the poor customer service, but they get lots of money for ads from Hunter, so they don't want to chance losing their ads.

I just contacted Hunter last month to see if I could replace the hull, and I was told that they are changing to a new hull design made from fiberglass. I would feel guilty selling the boat to some unsuspecting buyer as it is now, but I agree with some of the other posts that this could be a safety hazard. The cost of the new hull is almost $5,000, which doesn't make sense to me. So I guess the old Hunter is headed to the scrap heap.

If anyone has an idea how we can get Hunter to live up to the fact that this product is defective or influence any media outlet that might get some publicity about their poor customer service I'd be happy to join you.

Bob

Jun 19, 2006
Hunter 23 -Cave Run Lake - Kentucky
I have a Hunter 170 purchased in 2000 and I had cracks the first year, the second and the third. I have fewer cracks now, but my hull is out of warranty and Hunter didn't continue to care after the first couple of years. The first couple of years I took it back to the factory which was in Connecticut then, and Hunter filled the cracks with plexus and painted over them. but they came back the next year.

I thought of writing to all the sailing magazines to see if they would print anything about the problem and the poor customer service, but they get lots of money for ads from Hunter, so they don't want to chance losing their ads.

I just contacted Hunter last month to see if I could replace the hull, and I was told that they are changing to a new hull design made from fiberglass. I would feel guilty selling the boat to some unsuspecting buyer as it is now, but I agree with some of the other posts that this could be a safety hazard. The cost of the new hull is almost $5,000, which doesn't make sense to me. So I guess the old Hunter is headed to the scrap heap.

If anyone has an idea how we can get Hunter to live up to the fact that this product is defective or influence any media outlet that might get some publicity about their poor customer service I'd be happy to join you.

Bob
Bob,

You'll probably need to find a good lawyer willing to take on a "Class Action" suit against Hunter Marine over these plastic boats. Mine is a 99 model and has seen a normal amount of abuse, it's been repaired a few times but no more than any fiberglass boat I've owned. So far no huge cracks for me but I've only owned it a month.

Jun 9, 2008
hunter -- -
I to had deck/gunel cracks on my 2000 H140 from my Iowa winter.
Then in 2008 the outer hull developed larger cracks running vertical up the sides. Hunter did replace this "at cost" with a 2008 Hull. Then after the winter of 2010 the 2008 hull developed cracks on the deck at the mast
step. I'm feed up with Hunter and will never buy another. I want to just
get rid of it to someone down south with now winter!

Apr 30, 2010
hunter 170 saint augustine
Hunter has discontinued making plastic boats. I believe they have also bought back or replaced all defective models.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
I believe they have also bought back or replaced all defective models.
Keep believing. In my world it is called faith. However, they have not bought back or replaced all defective models. I have a 98 170 which must be repaired each year and sometimes twice a year. They won't touch it. I called them up and they said, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do." So keep believing. Some people still believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny!

jo mo

May 13, 2010
Hunter Hunter 170 trinidad
reply ...Hunter's liability

Bob
Bob, Just read your post and have the same feelings, my 170 (second hull) is just a s bad as the first. the boat sailed only a few times on the new hull and has been carported ever since. After reading all of these posts I wonder if the government regulatory agencies (NTSB / Coast Gaurd / BBB / Gulf Coast Sailing Associations / need to be next in line also a possible class action law suit naming past and present owners as plaintiffs in a lawsuit. JO MO trinidadjoe@yahoo.com

jo mo

May 13, 2010
Hunter Hunter 170 trinidad
Hunter 170 Owners,
Send me an e-mail if you have hunter 170 hull cracking issues, would like to establish a data-base of past/present owners. There may be power in numbers we need to address this problem as a group which may be our only chance to correct and prevent this on-going hunter 170 problem. trinidadjoe@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.