Stray Current energizing gear Shift - Shocking question

Sep 24, 2018
Raider Yachts 33 Middle River
I have a new to me sailboat that my surveyor stated the wiring both DC and AC are a mess, but a 30 year old boat I wasn’t surprised and not too concerned. I’ve rewired boats and cars in the past and feel comfortable (I thought!) with the DC side more than the AC. Trying the move the boat from the seller’s marina to my marina, I got a shocking surprised.

The existing GPS had a bad power cable, so I replaced it and for our trip, I temporarily wired it right to the battery. Worked fine at the dock, shore power plug in, motor off. Disconnected the shore power but crew did not turn the AC power switch off, started motor, the GPS started flashing transducer is off! Concerned but not overly, I proceed to the fuel dock I place the boat in gear, slipped off the insulated part of the gear shift and hit the steel and zap!!! Raised the RPM to move forward and bigger zap! Back to the slip to regroup. Some observations, I have an AUTOMAC II, I understand the function but do not completely follow the wiring, but does have an AMP meter with it and prior to this trip shown charging, after the shocking, it appears no current.

My first step was to isolate the house wiring from the motor, I now have only the motor on one battery. Now I’m not shocking, but then again, now I don’t have any charging from the alternator/regulator. I’m guessing I now have a bad alternator, but I still not sure of the possible cause. I don’t want to replace the alternator only to blow out another. Any suggestions to the potential cause of the stray current? I have some of MaineSail’s diagrams to take down on my next trip to review, but I’m hoping to develop a plan before my next trip. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I wouldn't replace the alternator, at least not yet. Why start with expensive guesses?

The only reliable way to define the problem is to trace all wiring before you do anything else.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, sailing is an electrifying sport. :yikes:

Does the boat have an inverter? Or a charger inverter? If so, it may be a short or problem with the Inverter leaking into ground system.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Be careful to fix this before you go to the fuel pump station...

Sep 24, 2018
Raider Yachts 33 Middle River
Yes, Don a complete tracing and mapping is in the works! thanks
No Inverter Dave to short out but I do have a 3 bank battery charger. I thought it may be the cause since the stray current was on the DC and AC side. I've contacted the manufacture for the troubleshooting/testing manual, that will be checked when I'm back on the boat. thanks.
thanks for everyone quick responses!