Straps to tie 23.5 to trailer

Aug 8, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
My 1995 Hunter 23.5 did not come with any straps which attach to the trailer and go over the boat to hold it securely to the trailer. It was held in with just a rope tied to the trailer and the back cleat. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to tie the boat better to the trailer? Winch tie down straps maybe? Any suggestions and lengths needed would be really appreciated! It is the stock trailer. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
I used ratchet straps just aft of the pulpit and across the cockpit. I attached them to the trailer frame. The aft strap was extra long. 30' maybe? The forward strap was probably 20'. I got the heavy duty yellow jobs.

The trailer had padeyes right at the rear. The size of the hook on the long beefy aft strap was too big for it. The PO had smaller, snap hooks that attached there, but the strap itself was not ratcheted, so I replaced it. If you don't make it tight enough, the strap hooks can release when absorbing a bump, on either end.

Some folks might not use a forward strap, just relying on the trailer winch retrieval strap to suffice, but I felt the need for more safety there.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I use a standard marine gunwale tie-down strap on my 240, brand was Boatbuckle, 20 ft. length works across the stern. I put the hooks in the base of the goalpost tubes on the trailer frame.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer involved with the production of your boat selling quite a few, I taught my customers to insure that the winch strap be checked after 10-20 miles of travel as the boat will relax into the trailer. Also tie off the winch handle as the older winch handles do come loose from time to time. Also make sure the safety chain is secured to the bow eye but if too long, then twist it to shorten so it will not bump into the bow when towing due to windage.
Some will advocate putting a strap over the foredeck but it is not needed. Actually I have repaired boats from doing that.
As for the rear, put a two inch strap over the cockpit secured to the trailer and with the winch strap, put the adjuster on the driver side of the trailer. If new, put a carpet over the cockpit coaming where the strap will go over to prevent chafing. Also twist the strap twice to help prevent wind slapping the hull. If the strap is too long, cut it off with a rope burner or cut it off and sear the end of it.
Hope this helps but some will disagree. Info based on 50 years of towing boats.

Oct 19, 2006
That's some great advice, Dave. Wish I'd asked you that when I still owned Grasshopper!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Excellent advise from Crazy Dave, I had to learn the lessons the hard way over a period of time.

Oct 19, 2006
Jackdaw, that's what I used aft. The forward one wasn't quite as beefy.

I was a bit surprised by Dave's suggestion -- discouragement, actually -- on the forward strap. But he da' man!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Be careful with too stout a strap I've seen several hulls cracked using the ubiquitous GI Cargo Strap. I've snapped 4X4s using these things.

http://www.cargosystems.com/standard-aircraft-straps/

They are great because they are wide but it is too easy to ratchet them down too tight and being rated to 5,000# they do not stretch much across a 2,500# boat. I'd suggest something with a little more give and not use the ratcheting type at all.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Also if you dont have a chain at bow add one dont rely on winch strap,Have seen boats roll of trailers

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
VT Fitz; Saw your comment so am I a wondering if you are trailering your 27? This of course would alter the tie down straps depending on how that boat is trailered. My earlier comments were for the 23.5 as it is secured the bow of course to a winch stand so the front will not move. Like I said, I have over 2 million miles of trailering and a lot depends on the style trailer when I suggest things or ways. Clarification needed

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
My experience w/ securing loads to trailers give ropes the advantage. Done properly all systems will work so I like to stay away from mechanical devices. With ratchet w/ straps that just hook onto a eye on the trailer there is always a chance that if the boat shifts or flexes or the strap shifts the hooks at the trailer can fall off. Also, the tendency is often to over tighten the strap putting too much pressure on the hull of the boat.
In my business we shuttled 16 foot rafts to and from rivers a number of times a day. (4 high 8 boat on a 30' trailer) Ropes secured to the port side of the trailer w/ a buntline hitch were thrown over the boats to the starboard side, run thru an eye on the trailer then secured w/ a modified trucker hitch. The advantages were many but the greatest was if shifting or flexing happened the rope stayed secured giving you time to stop and adjust without the boats falling off the trailer. A ratchet strap could and have jumped off.
The two disadvantages were that a proper knot had to be used and because we left the ropes on the trailers they were sometimes stolen.
What ever you chose to use always adjust from the starboard or passenger side of trailer and stop and readjust. That puts you between the trailer and traffic.

Oct 19, 2006
VT Fitz; Saw your comment so am I a wondering if you are trailering your 27?
The short answer is no. At least for now.

The long answer is, in looking to satisfy our bad case of two-foot-otis last fall, to trailer or not to trailer... THAT was the question.

The thrift (a big factor) and ease of being able to finish the season, throw her on the trailer, and find a spot in the backyard was important for us with our 23.5. Thus, we were scouring the ads for the 260, looking for a larger and newer boat, but still trailerable. We are committed to the Hunter brand. But of the three boats we actually looked at over the prior 14 months, none were acceptable. Since other boats will pop up in searching a given range of length, other models appeared, and when we saw how clean Skaði was, the 27-3 we ultimately purchased, we just had to check her out. The rest is history.

The ongoing prospect of coughing up $1500 or so for winter storage for the foreseeable is not the most pleasant aspect of stepping up, but we've accepted this additional financial commitment as the price to play with a bigger keelboat. Besides the stability of a keel versus water-ballasting, having standing headroom down below and all the additional amenities the 27-3 has versus 23.5 -- or even the 260 -- is worth the expense... at least for the next 8-10 years. Hopefully longer.

She's got the shoal wing keel, so only draws 3 1/2', but to now we really haven't considering getting a custom-made trailer. I have the schematics to make a cradle to build on to a trailer superstructure, but then I'd need road permits and such through three states, which I'm not eager to deal with. Also, I'd need a larger truck (my Tacoma was fine for the 23.5, but underpowered for the 27-3 plus a trailer). Clearly it would need twin axles and brakes. I'd also incur the cost for them to sling it on and off and to step/unstep the mast... When it's all added up, I doubt the numbers favor trailering.

But for sheets and grins, how much do you think it would cost to make a trailer? $5,000? $10,000? Maybe it would pay off over 10 years. Might also be an asset at time of sale. :wahwah:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I believe but not sure if Magic Tilt measured your boat hull to design a trailer. I had a tandem axle with adjustable stands with a long extension I could launch and retrieve up to the Hunter 33 before retiring including your boat. The only issue would be getting the mast down unless there is a gin pole or lift of sorts for the mast removal

Oct 19, 2006
I believe but not sure if Magic Tilt measured your boat hull to design a trailer. I had a tandem axle with adjustable stands with a long extension I could launch and retrieve up to the Hunter 33 before retiring including your boat. The only issue would be getting the mast down unless there is a gin pole or lift of sorts for the mast removal
Wow, that would either have to be a real long extension and/or quick drop off at the ramp, no?

I think stepping/unstepping & properly tensioning the mast would still need professional assistance/expense.

Any idea how much the cost ran? I understand any info might be from a little while ago so costs have probably risen.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You have to know your ramps. I do not recall or have any idea as to cost for a trailer but suggest calling. Also look at sailboat trailer designs for Road King as well..