Strange fuel sender

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I have never seen a sending unit like this before - I have not removed it yet so no idea what the part in the tank looks like, but the only thing coming out the top is a long piece of very thin flexible tubing that goes up to the instrument panel (but was not connected to anything any longer). Anyone familiar with this arrangement?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not seen this before. There must be pieces not connected. From the info and image i can not see any mechanical means sending analog data to give fuel capacity. No pressure pump?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
In the 70 as John said the most accurate gauge was one that used air pressure to bubble air into the tank and measured how much pressure it took. They had a tank selector switch so could handle multiply tanks. The name escapes me.

Les

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
This is a floatless design, measuring hydrostatic pressure instead.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
measuring hydrostatic pressure
You must be able to presuriaze the tank and compare the change in pressure over time. Must use a pump of some kind. And or a sealed system.

I would remove it if not working and get a Wema float system. Simple reliable and accurate. $50 or less depending on the depth of your tank for the sender.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
In the 70 as John said the most accurate gauge was one that used air pressure to bubble air into the tank and measured how much pressure it took. They had a tank selector switch so could handle multiply tanks. The name escapes me.

Les
Think its called a tank tender. See if other tanks have the same..

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Thanks for the replies - interesting concept. Unfortunately, the gauge portion of the device does not seem to be with the boat any longer. As I have gone through the boat emptying lockers and storage compartments I have come across at least three other sending units :) Must have been a story there somewhere...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
As I have gone through the boat emptying lockers and storage compartments I have come across at least three other sending units :) Must have been a story there somewhere...
Someone went through a lot of effort to avoid doing math. Engine Hours x Gallons per hour isn't so bad.