stormy weather

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Both require HEAT to change Temperature. Ice "sucks up" 80 times the Heat as water [per gram] from the Atmosphere.

I can't wait to use ICE to "suck up" the Heat from my Adult Beverage on a hot summer day.
Jim...

PS: We think cold is colder than our skin temperature.:pimp:

Sorry...@jamesg161 I know this seems like nit picking.... I'm hung up on the semantics...it is just that this IS my thing. I teach general chemistry. Water has a specific heat of 1 calorie per gram for every degree Celsius temperature change. Water also has a heat of fusion of ~80 calories per gram (no temperature change). I get what you are trying to say ... Ice will suck up heat as it melts into water but water only sucks up heat if it is warmed. So zero degree water that stays at zero degrees does not suck up any heat. But a gram of zero degree water that is warmed to 80 degrees sucks up just as much heat as a gram of ice that melts and stays at zero degrees. Now when that same gram of water evaporates into water vapor, it sucks up 540 calories of heat. That is the big effect water has on our environment because it also gives that heat back when it condenses into dew at night. The lack of water is why deserts have such big temperature swings.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Sorry...@jamesg161 I know this seems like nit picking.... I'm hung up on the semantics...it is just that this IS my thing. I teach general chemistry. Water has a specific heat of 1 calorie per gram for every degree Celsius temperature change. Water also has a heat of fusion of ~80 calories per gram (no temperature change). I get what you are trying to say ... Ice will suck up heat as it melts into water but water only sucks up heat if it is warmed. So zero degree water that stays at zero degrees does not suck up any heat. But a gram of zero degree water that is warmed to 80 degrees sucks up just as much heat as a gram of ice that melts and stays at zero degrees. Now when that same gram of water evaporates into water vapor, it sucks up 540 calories of heat. That is the big effect water has on our environment because it also gives that heat back when it condenses into dew at night. The lack of water is why deserts have such big temperature swings.
yep. :plus:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Both require HEAT to change Temperature
I was not trying to be "Clever", but the key word was Change.

The water off melting Ice is the SAME temperature as the ice.
In a perfect laboratory insulated world container[like a Yeta mug, Dewar Flask], all of the Ice would melt before before the all the liquid water would begin to Change Temperatures.

The lack of water is why deserts have such big temperature swings
Conversely the Abundance of Water near a large body of water, has lower temperature swings.
To have an air temperature above 98°F, on a coastal city, takes a helluva lot of HEAT to evaporate the water.
Thus coastal climate stability. Here is the controversy of Global Warming.
Where are the weather stations that report daily temperatures? Land or Ocean predominantly? Most reported, not at Midnight, but a daybreak and historically at air ports. Now try to adjust for trends globally!?!
_____
5/8th of the world's surface is liquid water per Mike Nelson of Sea Hunt fame.;)
Jim...

PS: Melting Ice, water warming, and evaporating Cools our Earth. Even rain evaporates and cools as it falls.
I LOVE THE WATER!!!