Storing A Cruising Spinnaker?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Doug there is a maritime rule. You will buy the new one then you will find the lost one in the last place you look for it.
By definition, EVERYTHING is ALWAYS found in the last place you look for it!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
So true. On our new tri, we have taken to carrying on any tools and hardware for a project, and then carrying it right back off before we sail. Our task is made easier by the fact that we only daysail, so the car is near. We even carry on our bedding roll when we are going to overnight on the boat. Then we carry it off in the morning. Keeps the boat light and fast! ;)
I'll keep my tool bag, which is quite a collection, and some basic parts and stuff. A couple of strategic spares, for when cruising on vacation might not be a bad idea, like a water pump. Also have a Westerbeke parts kit on board with filters, belt, impeller kit, etc.; engine oil, transmission oil.

Come to think of it, there are already too many tools, project parts, and cleaning supplies on board! Have to cull them this weekend.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
That's why God makes hurricanes. So you haul everything off the boat then bring back what you really want. Can we take bets on how much "stuff" will be on your boat a year from now?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
If you bury the sail, you will NEVER use it. Keep it on the v berth where it will always call out to you when you walk forward... 'USE ME! USE ME!' or it will make you feel guilty when you don't.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
If you bury the sail, you will NEVER use it. Keep it on the v berth where it will always call out to you when you walk forward... 'USE ME! USE ME!' or it will make you feel guilty when you don't.
And, if you leave both up there, then you have to choose one and leave the other one wanting. ;-)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't plan on burying it, I'm going to try to store it edgewise, up, in the locker.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have massive sail locker but it is not conditioned, so my spin lives in a compression bag in the aft berth after drying. Gets moved to the deck locker for sailing. You should be able to reduce volume by more than half.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thanks, but no, he was the one ranting...
To some extent, that is what forums are for. This is, at it's heart, and open forum for discussion and debate. E-mail is private. I am sorry you were affronted.

A sail locker must be dry, well-ventilated, not require hauling wet sails through the cabin, and be located where ever suits the specific boat's needs. It cannot, by definition, be a berth with a mattress. Would you buy a car with the spare tire in the back seat? Of course not.