Storing A Cruising Spinnaker?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
What's your point? Are you hear to gloat, throw stones, what?
No, it's just that I don't understand selling boats without things they need. It's like using miniature furniture in a model home. Builders sell houses and boats on looks and bed count and we as buyers don't demand the fundamentals.

And that is why there is no locker. We would rather have more beds. This won't change until we adjust our buying priorities.

I have used the bags with compression straps. Probably the best alternative. Another cure would be to convert the forepeak into a locker.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No, it's just that I don't understand selling boats without things they need. It's like using miniature furniture in a model home. Builders sell houses and boats on looks and bed count and we as buyers don't demand the fundamentals.

And that is why there is no locker. We would rather have more beds. This won't change until we adjust our buying priorities.
This is certainly part of the issue, another factor is the advent of roller furling jibs and mains. With the genoa on a furler there is no long a need for multiple headsails. Fewer sails, less need for storage. My last boat (a Sabre 30) came with 6 sails (4 headsails, main and spinnaker), my current boat came with 3, Genoa, main, and funky poleless symmetrical spinnaker.

The suggestion for a compression bag is appreciated, it may be the solution I've been looking for. Thanks Jack.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
What's your point? Are you hear to gloat, throw stones, what?
I think he was suggesting a solution by way of experience. It seems you were not helped by by it, though. I do not know if a spinnaker could be converted for roller use.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think he was suggesting a solution by way of experience. It seems you were not helped by by it, though. I do not know if a spinnaker could be converted for roller use.
Thanks, but no, he was the one ranting about how his cats have sail lockers, and it's "ludicrous" that most modern monohulls don't; which really doesn't help, unless the suggestion is to sell my boat and get a cat.

The other helpful suggestion, that what you really want is a Code 0 on a furler, doesn't solve my problem, either.

But no matter. I think the turtle bag with compression straps is the best way. Now to select one. The size I think I need is in the $200 neighborhood, and it's hard to tell, online, just how serious the compression strap system will be.

The cockpit locker can be a sail locker, since mine is particularly deep. People tend to use them as "catch alls," I'm trying to impose some order on mine. The only other storage outside the cabin is limited, there being no full lazarette; port side aft is the propane locker, starboard is a lift-out tub for lines and such, underneath and behind which is the 'fridge compressor shelf, steering gear, etc. I hope, now, to stow the gennaker bag 'upright' in the port cockpit locker.

Aug 3, 2012
Sounds like some nice cockpit storage! I mused on the idea of a turtle bag attached to the forward side of the mast.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Sounds like some nice cockpit storage! I mused on the idea of a turtle bag attached to the forward side of the mast.
I can get into this locker! And I think another skinny person could join me. And there's even a light. It would be even bigger, except in the aft end, past where the hatch opens, is the 10 gallon water heater. Right now it has a shore power cord, hose, three 10.5/27" fenders, the Lifesling II, four or five PFD's, a couple of floating cushions, etc. And the e-tiller. I'm thinking of getting some stainless fender baskets to hold the fenders upright and outboard, a rack for the hatch boards inboard, and spot, forward, for the gennaker bag.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Keep looking! You might find Jimmy Hoffa in there!

Seriously... a light? That is too cool! Now I gotta show a picture of my cockpit lights... there is a light on the swimstep too...
IMG_0724.JPG

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Very nice. We have some nice, red, LED courtesy lights along the cabin walkways, which I guess were added. It's very convenient. But, we have no outside lights like yours, except this ridiculous, rectangular deck light on the radar mast that's like something from a fishing boat from Deadliest Catch. I like yours!

Aug 3, 2012
Thanks! I think I got them at Defender. My boat is blue, so I thought blue LEDs would be nice.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Cockpit Table Light IMG_20160624_073744404.jpg
Lazarette Light IMG_20160624_073844043_HDR.jpg
Cockpit Floor Light Red_White IMG_20160624_073729331.jpg
Cabin Lighting Red_White IMG_20160624_074632080.jpg
Here is what I did. lazzarette light is a lighted switch so you can see it in the dark. It's an On/Off Switch. Cockpit light down by my feet is a red LED. Under the binnacle light is white LED and just above the table in the cockpit so it illuminates the table. The cockpit floor light (red) and the table light (white) are both wired to a rocker switch that is On/Off/On so it's either on Red, On White or Off. That switch is located in the indent where my engine controls are located. Cabin lights are the LED White/Red switchable fixtures. All the lighting came from Marinebeam.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
And....what is the difference between a sail locker and a "regular" locker??? Just wondering.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
My mega-cheap 1980 C-30 has a "sail locker" - i.e. a very deep cockpit locker. I (and a willing companion) could fit in it easily. It's where I store the dinghy motor and the spare sails.

OTOH, I like to store the asym in the quarter berth. Why? It's far easier to get to, and I typically launch it out the forward hatch. So the work to get it ready to launch is far less to just drag the bag up to the vberth and hook up halyard, run the sheets, and attach the tack. If I need the quarter berth to be an actual berth it goes back in the sail locker.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I can get into this locker! . Right now it has a shore power cord, hose, three 10.5/27" fenders, the Lifesling II, four or five PFD's, a couple of floating cushions, etc. And the e-tiller.
That sounds familiar! If it wasn't for the fact that I had to pull everything out of the lazarette when I go into winter storage, I'm afraid it would start looking like a hoarder's house from American Pickers. Add to the list buckets with cleaning products, spare dock lines, an extra winch handle, a couple of scrub brushes, extra bungie cords, and who knows what else. I know there is a brand new bottle of super glue down there somewhere that I will find right after I buy a new one.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know there is a brand new bottle of super glue down there somewhere that I will find right after I buy a new one.
Doug there is a maritime rule. You will buy the new one then you will find the lost one in the last place you look for it.

Aug 3, 2012
you find everything in the last place you look because it would be insane to keep looking after you find it... ;) now about the admiral, who was wearing the sunglasses she asked me to help jer find the other day! Haha! :laugh:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
We made a resolution that with the new boat we won't be carrying around a hardware store and a cleaning supplies store. No more hoards of future project parts, etc., etc. I took a ton of stuff off the previous boat, and it's not going on to the new one!

Aug 3, 2012
We made a resolution that with the new boat we won't be carrying around a hardware store and a cleaning supplies store. No more hoards of future project parts, etc., etc. I took a ton of stuff off the previous boat, and it's not going on to the new one!
So true. On our new tri, we have taken to carrying on any tools and hardware for a project, and then carrying it right back off before we sail. Our task is made easier by the fact that we only daysail, so the car is near. We even carry on our bedding roll when we are going to overnight on the boat. Then we carry it off in the morning. Keeps the boat light and fast! ;)