Storing A Cruising Spinnaker?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Where can I keep this thing? It's a Doyle APC with what I think is an ATN spinnaker sleeve, that has a big, fiberglass, elliptically-shaped mouth on it, and also a fiberglass thing that presumably wraps around the furled headsail as a "tacker." It's on a Tartan 3800, and currently occupies the after cabin berth.

There's no sail locker in the cabin. I'm thinking I might be able to fit it into the port cockpit locker, if I devise some kind of vertical basket for it. There are other things in there, too, like three 10x27" fenders, life jackets, lines, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jv

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Where can I keep this thing? It's a Doyle APC with what I think is an ATN spinnaker sleeve, that has a big, fiberglass, elliptically-shaped mouth on it, and also a fiberglass thing that presumably wraps around the furled headsail as a "tacker." It's on a Tartan 3800, and currently occupies the after cabin berth.

There's no sail locker in the cabin. I'm thinking I might be able to fit it into the port cockpit locker, if I devise some kind of vertical basket for it. There are other things in there, too, like three 10x27" fenders, life jackets, lines, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jv
Much to the chagrin of my wife, ours lives in the salon near the forward bulkhead. It is bulky, but out of the way. This is also a good place to store extra weight. The Sabre has a drop down table and the sail fits under the table when it is down.

Some day, when I get to cleaning out the quarter berth garage/attic, I may move it there.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Jviss, didn't you have a cruising spinnaker on your Catalina 36? We put ours in the after cabin (garage) along with the foulies, spare throwable PFD, swim toys, original copy of Imagine in John Lennon's handwriting, hatch screens, and all the other stuff we might need while sailing but are too bulky to have a place of their own.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
No, no cruising spinnaker on the C36. I always wanted one, but it never made the top of the list. The one on the T3800 was a surprise, not on the listing, but it showed up for the sea trial. No snatch blocks on board, but I have a couple. There's a spin halyard, but it's running outside the mast, I think it's supposed to be internal. It's a bit worn, too.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If you're ever going to use it, wouldn't it stay in the V berth?
Mine's a behemoth in its bag with the same ATN sock and tacker you've described, and it's kind of PITA to get the bag through the V berth's (wife's favorite bedroom) doorway.

Luckily, my wife's a skinny one.

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have mine in a spinnaker bag (round mouth and tall) and keep it in the V Berth. Also keep the symmetrical chute in there and put the spin pole as far into the V Berth as it will go with a line tied around the mast support having a loop on it to clip the inboard end of the pole so its angled up to the ceiling and at least not sticking out onto the salon table (which was its previous configuration). V Berth is as a result a sail locker. Price you pay to race or cruise faster! ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Get a spin launch bag with compression straps. North, Doyle, and quantum will sell you one. Even big kites will compress way down after you bag them. Loosen the straps when you get it back on deck.

Like these 3

5614C8D2-7134-4EDF-A5C0-91AFAA106E95-645-000000DE4751FEF0.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Get a spin launch bag with compression straps. North, Doyle, and quantum will sell you one. Even big kites will compress way down after you bag them. Loosen the straps when you get it back on deck.

Like these 3

View attachment 141007
That's what I want. I have mine in its sail bag right beneath the forward hatch. Open the hatch, grab the bag, and... ugh big mess! I try to pack the middle first and keep the ends on top. It is still a mess. I need one of the bags.

Oh, I would always want to keep it near where you use it. The V berth right under the forward hatch. We sleep in the salon, so the V is for storage .

jviss

Feb 5, 2004

Like these 3

View attachment 141007
I think that's exactly what I need. My wife is not high on the idea of the gennaker, and we sleep in the v-berth, and often have guests in the aft cabin. I think I might be able to get the chute in one of these bags into the port cockpit locker. Might make a divider to make it easier. Thanks!

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Mine sleeps under the v-berth and forward of the holding tank. It's a PITA to get out so it usually only comes on deck if we are not going to head into the wind for 4-5 hours.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
This is why I went with a Code Zero that has a UV cover. It's on a Bamar continuous line furler and it says rigged on the bow all the time. So, I don't use up valuable space below AND it is rigged and ready to go. How often do you not bother to fly your light air sail because it's too much hassle to rig up? Yes, your sail is probably better in very light air than mine, but yours performs pretty poorly stuffed inside a bag down below.
Mack Sails is cranking them out because they are very popular with cruising boats. I was flying mine today with my Forespar Velocity whisker pole, quite nicely.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Personally, I find boats without sail lockers hysterical. Boat show marvels, like a model home.

A v-berth makes little sense to me, since the sail may be wet and I may be taking it down in the rain or waves. Who wants a wet mattress? And I'm sure not dragging sails through the cabin.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
This is why I went with a Code Zero that has a UV cover. It's on a Bamar continuous line furler and it says rigged on the bow all the time. So, I don't use up valuable space below AND it is rigged and ready to go. How often do you not bother to fly your light air sail because it's too much hassle to rig up? Yes, your sail is probably better in very light air than mine, but yours performs pretty poorly stuffed inside a bag down below.
Mack Sails is cranking them out because they are very popular with cruising boats. I was flying mine today with my Forespar Velocity whisker pole, quite nicely.
Well, good for you, with your superior sail!

I'm asking about storing the sail I happen to have.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Personally, I find bats without sail lockers hysterical. Boat show marvels, like a model home.

A v-berth makes little sense to me, since the sail may be wet and I may be taking it down in the rain or waves. Who wants a wet mattress? And I'm sure not dragging sails through the cabin.
Most cruising sailboats don't have sail lockers, as far as I know. I can't think of one in the 30 to 40 foot range that does.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Most cruising sailboats don't have sail lockers, as far as I know. I can't think of one in the 30 to 40 foot range that does.
And I find that ludicrous. Sailboats need sails. My cats always have.