Storage on top of H34 fuel tank?

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Does anyone store stuff directly on top of the fuel tank in the Hunter 34 starboard locker? PO built a platform over mine, but it's falling apart and limits access/height from the hole I cut in the port berth wall. Any idea of weight limit on tank? Concern about things sliding into hose or valves? Or is that what Hunter intended for the space?

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
:plus: with Mark
Totally agree with Mark.
Disclaimer: I don't know what the space looks like but a platform to protect the tank and the other things connected to it, including tie down straps, would be a good idea. The tank is definitely not designed as a storage facility.

One thing comes to mind is what happens if the fuel return line gets pinched or kinked enough to stop the flow of fuel because then what can happen? Need to take care of that little item otherwise one can get a runaway engine. Now, that can get really exciting!

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
as long as the platform is completely supported by some structure other than the fuel tank, and the platform does not inhibit the normal operation or maintenance of the fuel tank and it's hoses, etc. I don't necessarily see any reason why this would be a problem. Is the platform accessible from the cockpit laz, or from the after berth?? can you share a picture?

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Will get a pic in a month or so when cover comes off, but it is supported by upright outboard and ledge on berth wall inboard.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have a H34 and I only store light things such as fenders dock lines.
I have stood and sat on the tank while working in the lazarette area however that was done with caution. I would not recomend storage of anything of any real weight.

Not such a bad idea to build a wooden platform above the tank.
I think that you could easily Fiberglass a block of wood to the hull and to the aft quarter berth bulkhead. Then you can attach a shelf to both supports. That would give decent support above the fuel tank.

I would think twice about putting anything heavy into that lazarette only because of the poor access fore storing and retrieving items in and out of it.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Danger of things falling on valves, etc aside I would not want to limit my access/view of tank and valves, etc. You might need to get to those things quickly or at least keep them in view and top of mind in case of problems.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Not really a good idea as space would be limited and access difficult at best even if you did find a way to build a shelf above the tank. That shelf would have to be high enough and positioned to not create issues with fuel line & fuel tank hose (pic 01) located on forward end of tank, as well as fuel return line (pic 02) located at aft end of tank.

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Isn't this... obvious? There isn't a code around that won't tell you that is bad. You don't store things around fuel tanks, batteries, appliances, or electrical panels. Of course you will probably get away with it.

Why are we trying to talk ourselves into a bad idea? Either build a good shelf or get rid of some junk.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Claude, not to hijack my own thread, but in your pictures it looks like you have two batteries running fore and aft instead of athwartship? I thought that was a no no. Any issues?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Claude, not to hikack my own thread, but in your pictures it looks like you have two batteries running fore and aft instead of athwartship? I thought that was a no no. Any issues?
Good catch. A friend of mine with a mono had acid spill out sometimes (a traditional design that liked to be sailed on its ear), which tended to corrode the wire ends. I'm sure he had plates exposed, though he changed the installation before that caused any noticeable change (no solar, few loads under sail, so no current while exposed).

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Claude, not to hijack my own thread, but in your pictures it looks like you have two batteries running fore and aft instead of athwartship? I thought that was a no no. Any issues?
Indeed I do DA. When I bought the boat in 2000 it had 2 batteries, the one athwartship and adjacent to it a 2nd one fore and aft. I asked previous owner about it and he said no problems in the 7 years he had the boat. I added the 3rd one shortly after buying the boat and decided to put it in line with the 2nd one as it was the easiest place. As you probably noticed, they are well secured and inside battery boxes. Never had any acid spills even inside the boxes in all the years I've owned the boat. So no, no issues !