Stone Horse 23.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Designed in 1931 by Sam Crocker and adapted to fiberglass in the 70's. These are popular on the coast of Maine probably because they're a serious 23' sailboat that will safely handle our rough coastal conditions. The 23' was stretched for the rig with a sprit and boomkin. A sloop with two headsails, the staysail gets used alot on this windy coast.

The Stone Horse 23 has a great cockpit and an adequate sitting height cabin for overnighting. Simple adequate berths, a tiny galley and spot for a head in the bow. Crocker fit all that without a high cabin. Sleek. Quite a design trick.

Like the big Hinckley Northern Star (background), Stone Horse owners enjoy a similar cult like following, on smaller budget.
Stone horse 23.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The Stone Horse 23 has a great cockpit and an adequate sitting height cabin for overnighting. Simple adequate berths, a tiny galley and spot for a head in the bow. Crocker fit all that without a high cabin. Sleek. Quite a design trick.
Not to mention, he managed to shoehorn a diesel inboard in there, too!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Crocker fit all that without a high cabin. Sleek. Quite a design trick.
Looks like a great Pocket Yacht. I enjoyed one once. It was when I enjoyed sleeping on rocks and could bend myself in half with ease. Those days are gone. But these are great boats for the owner on a budget yet having the desire to venture onto the waters. The owner in the image looks happy and has a sharp looking crew member on the bow attending a sail.
Ah the simple life. Good days, good wind, good sailing.