Stingy's Pop Top Lift Kit...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
This was hinted at a while back by Luke, apparently Stingy's been working on it for some time and has announced his pop top lift kit for pre-86 models, savings over the CD version, and perhaps/likely better engineered.

If you're not on his mailing list, here's a link:
https://stingysailor.com/tingy-sailor-pop-top-ez-lift-kit/
I'll give it a go and report back once installed...my back has been looking forward to it!

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
This is awesome. I am a subscriber too and saw my email, but it sure would be nice if there was a video of this in operation.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I have an 87', and would also be interested, if a kit eventually becomes available. That thing's a finger amputator.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Also a little disappointed that this is only offered a kit rather than a DIY tutorial that $tingy is known for. Still a great alternative to the CD kit but I'll likely be DIYing this mod when I finally get around to doing this project myself.

Apr 11, 2017
By the way -- what is everyone's technique for raising the pop-top solo? I raise it from down in the cabin with both hands, then support the weight of the pop-top with the top of my head, while I lock it onto the mast track.

I'm open to the possibility I might be doing it wrong..

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
That's exactly how I do it Hardhead, and as you know if you are off balance in any way it doesn't want to come up. No way to do it one handed. I have really bad sciatica and raising my pop top puts me in just the right position to inflame it if I'm not extremely careful, which is one of the big reasons this project has been on my list for a long time.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
guess we're all in the same boat (no pun intended)...

I raise with 2 hands and my head :banghead:, tilt the dogs outboard, rest it on the dogs (knobs), then raise w/both hands.

Regarding a video, likely he'll put one up (if he sees this), but I believe it has a detailed multipage instruction manual, should be simple enough.

He also asks for feedback from >86 owners as to their interest, for offering one compatible in the future...

Apr 11, 2017
I've only raised it a few times, in my driveway. I was thinking there might be a way to temporarily tie a line onto one of the forward struts, and then drawing that line around the mast and back, to give some better leverage in temporarily keeping it up and supported, while locking the pop-top onto the mast track.

I haven't really played around with the idea in reality, but I'm thinking I might try to rig something like that up. The gas supporting struts would sure be a huge help. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to envision what could happen, if it falls unexpectedly.

I already have enough good stories. I'm afraid I'll be tying a knot in one of the fingers of my gloves at some point..

I love the boat though-

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This was hinted at a while back by Luke, apparently Stingy's been working on it for some time and has announced his pop top lift kit for pre-86 models, savings over the CD version, and perhaps/likely better engineered.

If you're not on his mailing list, here's a link:
https://stingysailor.com/tingy-sailor-pop-top-ez-lift-kit/
I'll give it a go and report back once installed...my back has been looking forward to it!
I'm loving the looks of those stainless end fittings. If I didn't already have a lift kit installed, I'd be all over this one (when the post '86 model comes out!).

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Hey, guys!

Yes, I will be making at least one video of the kit in action and possibly an instructional video when the weather gets better. It's still full-on winter up here in the Northwest, about 8" of snow today. Even taking decent still photos has been a challenge, but I didn't want to postpone the kit debut any longer.