Sticky main furler

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This was wedged in the slot and was difficult to push back in.
You are lucky, if you forced that "cord" back in the slot, without opening up the "foil slot" more.
Note: The foil is the slotted tube running vertically between the swivels.

The only way to do that, properly is to lower your halyard line and start it back throughs that "foil slot" as you feed and pull up on the main Halyard.

My Sailmaker came with 3 different cord diameter "samples" to find the right size that "does not" pull out.;)
––––
I think the halyard may be a little loose
Halyard Tension... (a tip from the spar maker)
There is a "sweet spot" for tension. Too tight and the upper swivel is in a bind and won't turn. Too loose and the swivel spins with the sail. It took me two tries to find that "sweet spot".

Good luck...
Jim...

PS: I talked to ZSpars expert on the phone for 30 minutes.

Jul 14, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Kelowna, BC
The main sail furler on my Benetau 461 (2000) is causing me lots of problems. On some videos I have seen people unfurling their main by just releasing the furler line and perhaps a bit of wind - I have to use a winch and still get stuck when just a third of the main is out. Even my winch cannot hope. I then go and pull and shake at the sail to loosen it some more (assuming the weather is OK). Stronger winds make it easier to unfurl but I am not blessed with such constancy. At first I thought that the problem was higher up the mast but noticed that at least at times just pulling at the foot edge of the main unfurls it as if the problem was with the bottom of the furler. I bought the boat as used and see that someone left instructions to never furl or unfurl without keeping tension on the opposite line. I do it religiously. The problem is still there. I checked the bend in the mast - it's about 2-3" off straight line half-way up the mast. Can that account for the problem? Are there any common issues I should be looking for? Thanks in advance - I found replies to my earlier questions immensely valuable.

Oct 27, 2010
E-22 e-22 Stratford
The main sail furler on my Benetau 461 (2000) is causing me lots of problems.
I would weigh in on this post only to add,(as otherwise quite a bit of good info here) that if the mainsail is in fact original equipment circa 2000, I would NOT under any circumstance spend money on mainsail. Typically in N.America sails last 8-15 years (this one's pushing 20 years) with furling mains on the low side of that estimate because of the beating they take during the furling and unfurling process. There is no re-cutting of the sail that will make it less soft and restore the finish to the old worked fabric. All woven polyester is impregnated (or coated) with an epoxy melamine resin that breaks down and leads to the sail becoming softer and it's this softness that is one of the primary causes of furling issues as the sails age.
Bob Pattison
NP Sails Int.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
My sails have apparently spent their life rollers up, at sea trial I couldn't believe how new they look and feel. This boat has been on Kentucky lake and Lake Lanear all its life. 136.5 hrs on the engine at the pre purchase survey makes me believe it has been a water front condo. Just waiting for that calm time at the dock to plat ( test) and adjust.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
it's this softness that is one of the primary causes of furling issues as the sails age.
:plus::plus:
My term is baggy or stretched out near the clew or at the canvassed area.
If you look at my picture, I had to leave out of the furling my baggy/stretched area, until my new main arrived.

If that area is soft, you furl too much "foot" of the now stretched main sail in the mast.:doh:

The key is the furled FOOT.
Jim...

PS: note my picture in post #14

Dec 14, 2018
Earlier confusion, webbing for tack pulled out of sail slot in mast not luff Taptic pulled out of furled.
Today back on the boat. Playing with main furling and discovered the outhaul is hard to pull through tha path under deck plate. Tomorrow I will pull the front deck plate and see what is. Causing the difficulty moving that line in or out. Otherwise furler works well it appears.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Earlier confusion, webbing for tack pulled out of sail slot in mast not luff Taptic pulled out of furled.
Today back on the boat. Playing with main furling and discovered the outhaul is hard to pull through tha path under deck plate. Tomorrow I will pull the front deck plate and see what is. Causing the difficulty moving that line in or out. Otherwise furler works well it appears.
Make sure the the outhaul lines are not over sized. Our lines were over sized and worked much better when correct.

Dec 14, 2018
I just changed the outhaul line from 1/2 to a 3/8. Made a great improvement, pulls out and in by hand with relative ease. Glad to make this progress, got the squeaky steering quieted. And smaller jib furling line to prevent the spool from overfilling and causing friction.
Also had found the starter worked with the switch off, moved one wire and solved that.

Now for food and beverages.