stern rudders

rpd

Sep 14, 2017
Macgregor 26x Belledune Nb
rpd here with a question about stern dual rudders on macgregor 26x
I getting ready to launch and noticed that stern rudders fill with water.it seems has though where the lines are tied to lower or raise the said rudders the seal is perforated
is that an issue if so how to fix
very best rpd

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
After a thorough drying, you can over-drill the hole and then fill with epoxy. After it dries, re-drill the hole the proper size for the line.

rpd

Sep 14, 2017
After a thorough drying, you can over-drill the hole and then fill with epoxy. After it dries, re-drill the hole the proper size for the line.
could i shoot insulating foam for there is nothing to hold epoxy and further question what type of epoxy

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
could i shoot insulating foam for there is nothing to hold epoxy and further question what type of epoxy
I don't know about the foam, there should be something structural in the interior of your rudder, such as plywood or heavy duty-type foam already.
Use a thickened epoxy designed for underwater applications.

rpd

Sep 14, 2017
rpd here with a question about stern dual rudders on macgregor 26x
I getting ready to launch and noticed that stern rudders fill with water.it seems has though where the lines are tied to lower or raise the said rudders the seal is perforated
is that an issue if so how to fix
very best rpd
thank you justsomeguy, they are hollow except for upper part, I'm thinking i will try to epoxy a pvc tube then gelcoat