Stern Rail seat wooden strip

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
After 15 years, the Stern Rail seat wooden strip on my H326 looks very tired. I would like to replace the wooden strip with new. Any advise on wood strip material?
Thanks.

Ken

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Are they teak? If so just pressure wash them and you should be fine.
BTW the star board gets pretty hot in the sun, not to nice on a bikini bottom

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Just realise SBO carries Teak strip for replacing, so I guess it must be teak.
Mine seems to be wearing out. Gains getting coarse and screws aren't bitting at some places. Rotting I suppose.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
For those with the teak, the key to preservation when coating the teak is to take the first coat of what you are using and cut it with thinner or what it calls for to allow the fine pores to be filled sanding between coats. Do this twice for sure and that includes the underside and then apply coverage direct without thinning.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ours are Starboard or some equivalent. Have a cupholder and a foam cushion that can be tied on. I like the idea of Plasteak or something similar. The helm seat and the seat on the bow have been replaced with something synthetic on Bella.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I would use Meranti It's sometime called a Philippine Mahogany. Grain structure is similar to Teak, color can be anywhere from tan to burgundy. The darker the color the more rot resistant it is. The wood is commonly used in outdoor applications of furniture and construction. But keep in mind that any wood used in the marine environment will need periodic maintenance.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
On my 2000 H340, I took the teak strips off the seats and put seadek on the seats. The gray seadek matches the gray non skid and covers the screw holes.
I saved the teak and can put it back if I ever decide I would rather spend hours masking and varnishing instead of sailing.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I replaced my topside teak with Plasteak. I like it so far.
That seat looks really nice. I have been thinking about doing the same thing for 10+ years. Where did you get the Plasteak and were you able to get it in the width you needed or did you need to cut it?

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
You can go to there website www.plasteak.com. They can make it for you or you can order the lumber from them. You use wood tools to cut it to the shape you need. Then when done put a heat gun to it to make it all the same color.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
just pressure wash them
You can easily ruin teak with pressure washing. I was seriously considering a 2001 Tartan 3700 on which the previous owner had pressure washed all the exterior teak, ruining all of it by pulling all the pulp out of the grain. Cost to replace was in the $10k neighborhood. Don't do it!