Stern perch seats?

May 26, 2015
percision 21 Madison
Just bought our 21. We were thinking of getting stern perch seats. Does anyone have them and if so where did you get them from? I've read that some people make their own as well? Any thoughts good bad or otherwise would be appreciated. Thank you

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Contact Precision Boat works. If you look at their parts list for the Precision 21 you can see they have Split stern rail for $600. Older stern rails don't have a bump out to fit the seats. If there is a dealer nearby and you are patient you might be able to have it delivered with another boat to help defray shipping costs.

Here is a post showing what the catbird seats look like. You can see how the top rail bends out.

http://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1409955

Tom

Aug 15, 2012
The photo isn't my boat, I have the older non seat version also. They were made by the poster on that forum. I believe the stock seat is made of starboard or something similar.

Aug 15, 2012
Also, before you think about ordering new stern rails, take a look at what it would take to replace them. Some of the stanchions are hard to get at, the port side on the stern comes to mind. I believe Precision installs the rails before the hull are joined, when everything is easily accessible. I have heard people needing to use a faucet wrenches and teenagers with small hands to get at them.