Stereo/CD players--new technology; what's good?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I think Jackdaw was (correctly) pointing out that there are losses involved using any of those methods, when compared to direct consumption of power. At every conversion, something is lost, so the fewer conversions, the better the efficiency.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I think Jackdaw was (correctly) pointing out that there are losses involved using any of those methods, when compared to direct consumption of power. At every conversion, something is lost, so the fewer conversions, the better the efficiency.
There are no losses to your house bank if you don't convert. No need to since it has a battery that can be recharged when external power sources are available. More important to cruisers than racers.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We may not be using the term "losses" the same way. There are losses when converting solar, or wind, or hydrodynamic, or shore power energy to the volts stored in your house bank. There are further losses when recharging battery powered devices on your boat from the house bank. The progression from each of those states to the next is not 100 percent efficient. Each component - connectors, wires, switches, chargers (big or little, hardwired or plugin), diodes, whatever - takes its little share. It all adds up. Only superconductors have no resistance to current flow.

Think about just one example: we size wire to mitigate voltage drop in longer runs. What is voltage drop if not a loss?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If your old radio has an AUX audio input jack you can add a very nice Bluetooth receiver for under $35. You will also need to power it from a micro USB cord (same as you use to charge your other USB powered devices) although it has an internal battery that will last quite a while. This is the one I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K8ANDCI It works great.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Only superconductors have no resistance to current flow.
Only because someone used energy to make Liquid Nitrogen or refrigeration.:confused:

If only we didn't have RESISTANCE, then we would need no batteries.
_____
BTW different batteries have different internal resistances and thus different charging energy.:yikes:
Jim...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There are no losses to your house bank if you don't convert. No need to since it has a battery that can be recharged when external power sources are available. More important to cruisers than racers.
Charging a 12v device battery from your 12v house is maybe 90% efficient. So you lose 10% right there. So its better if you just have a device that uses the 12v house. If it can wait to charge an external 12v battery powered device until you get back to external (120v) power being available, then you could have been out that long at all. That's not cruising, that's day sailing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Just brought my IP into the 21st century.
Next, install new speakers in the cockpit. PO hard-wired speaker connections in the laz, so it doesn't make much sense to go BT there.

20180323_054952.jpg 20180323_054910.jpg 20180323_054816.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Would be interested in a bluetooth gadget that would send stereo radio output signal to two bluetooth headsets. This for crowded anchorages so as to not disturb my neighbors. Any suggestions?
I think you could do that with a bluetooth splitter...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi,
Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions and testimonials for a new/up-graded stereo system for the boat. I'm looking forward to installing something within a week or two. I'll report back when it's in:thumbup:.
KG
I "settled" for the Sony MEX-M100BT (Bluetooth Audio System); so, I feel I'm now maybe half-way into 21st century technology for boat systems!! (The Bavaria is a 1999 model year.) It was not a fun installation:snooty:. As it turned out, and I can't believe it even now; but, evidently, both cockpit speakers had failed at effectively the same time with the old Kenmore in place. I could have just put in two new speakers, which I had to do anyway, but only after all of the "fun" I had installing a new harness and power leads for the Sony. Conferring with Sony tech support was unproductive as well as very frustrating; but there was other frustration. A big one being that "boater's store" with the initials WM 300 m from where the boat is now slipped. The Sony instruction manual helped only after I'd figured out everything I needed to know that was not in there!! Now, the admirable and I are looking forward to enjoying the new sound!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I just installed a Sony DSXM55BT (& two Bose 161s) without trouble (after I cleared the air from the sparks and smoke caused by two old wires with poor insulation getting too friendly :) ).
I broke down and did it after getting tired of looking at the PO's cassette player.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Glad you found a solution that works for you.
For anyone else still looking, I went with one of the Fusion radios mentioned by Jackdaw and others. One of my favorite features of this radio is how easy the fader is to use. On regular car stereos, it's often hidden in an audio settings menu. On the Fusion, a quick press of the volume knob and it shows "Cockpit" and "Cabin," easily switching volumes between the two.
We also use the N2k feature to control volume, tracks skipping, etc via the chartplotter at the helm.