Stepping the mast on a Mac 25

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
All you need to do that is a cleat on your raising system. Drop the mast to a 45 degree angle or what ever is required to fit under the bridge and cleat your raising line.
He'll also need some kind of anti-sway setup. Got baby stays, @Tsatzsue ?

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I set up the hardware. I just need to make the stays themselves. I like the way the Mac X's and M's do the raising set up. the stays are attached to the raising line just off of the mast. That way they do not have to be at the exact deck level as the mast base. the tension on them automatically adjusts as the raising line becomes tight. Great idea.
The project list never ends. Just got a new inflatable and replaced the head gasket on my 1972 2hp evinrude. New VHF to go in as well as new cable up the mast. For a laugh
20170113_135337.jpg
check out the test rig. Hahaha!
Ken B.
CMDRE - NETS

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The stern rail is key. I need one.
Ken B
CMDRE - NETS
I added on to my stern rail.... then I added a boom support to it. and with the crutch at the pulpit, the boom will stow higher so that we can open the poptop when we are using the boat as a "camper" while traveling, and it also allows the solar panel to be mounted up and out of the way.

you can see the cutout I made in the stern rail when I extended it so when boarding from the swim ladder, you can step thru into the boat. before the modification, one had to go over the rail into the boat.

sometimes we want to go boating in an area that is not feasible for a sailboat of this size to sail, so we dont raise the mast but motor on down the lake with the autopilot, and with the mast stowed high, its not in the way of being able to comfortably spend time in the cockpit or BBQing during a multi day vacation....

the last photo was taken in the san juan islands (fishermans bay) during bad weather... we had the boom tent up and attached to the higher rail which makes standing headroom under the boom tent.... and you can see the dinghy motor mounted high and out of the way on the rail...
with the keel down, it sat on its lines, but when we got into shallow areas and had to crank the keel up, as we are here, we looked as if we were well loaded...

2012-11-16_12-36-10_527.jpg
2012-12-22_15-07-16_122.jpg
2013-05-26_18-06-39_1.jpg
2013-03-25_09-56-20_240.jpg
2013-08-02_14-40-10_400.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
View attachment 131850
I always assumed that the hinged mast base was OEM on my 82'?? sure works well, and has provision for the gin pole also. I can not imagine raising each time without the pole, as it makes my back hurt just thinking about it. ;)
yep that picture for bolts and pick it up, close hatch stand on it