Stepped my mast in 15 minutes

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
My boat is in my drive so I can do some work. I needed my mast up so I timed myself. From secured from transport to full up and my 3 stays attached and adjusted it took me 15 minutes. I want to shave that down and once I get my quick release levers I'm sure I will.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Lol. How are you Kermit?
Doing just fine. Our H260 was out of the water for quite the long time due to electrical issues but we're floating again. I still think of our sail together on Lake Tillery. That was a great day.

Apr 26, 2010
It was fun just not great wind. Did I tell you the guy who bought that boat sold it to a man from Raleigh who keeps it at the same marina and has become a good friend

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I've not timed myself, but I'm pretty certain I can do it in less than 10 minutes and I don't have quick release levers. I know I videoed me stepping the mast but not connecting the forward lowers and the entire video was under 6 minutes.... it's everything else that takes so long... the boom and sails and whatnot for me...

Apr 26, 2010
Dzl. It takes you less than ten minutes ? That's fast. Is that from the time the mast is strapped to the boat for transport then walked back to the mast up then attached to the mast step plus hooking up your boom vang etc. ? Or raising it after all that is done?

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
It may take me longer to undo all the bungees holding my halyards etc... but I can do it in that with just the front and rear straps on, including connecting the vang and moving the mast from the bow into the step. Once it's there it's a 30 second job to stand it up... just push up on the mast then pull the vang, once it's as high as I can reach standing on the cockpit bench I just pull it the rest of the way with the vang..

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The actual raising of the mast really is a 30 second affair, or certainly can be. It's all the other stuff involved with launching that usually takes us about half an hour.

Side note ... while it's good to be quick and efficient about it, it's also important to be careful and thorough. The procedure is not something that should be rushed, in my humble opinion. Ten minutes plus or minus to make sure everything is in ship-shape won't make you or break you.

You DON'T want to get anchored later that night, only to realize you left the rum in the truck. ;)

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
That's a good point Gene. I usually go slowly, because of the way I raise my mast the vang cleats the line on the way up so letting it down isn't an option. I HAVE to be sure nothing catches on the way up. It won't make a minutes difference in the end to be careful and it's definitely faster to do it right the first time.

Also on a side note, I've been enjoying your sailing videos on YouTube, Gene. I stumbled on your channel the other day...

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I'm going to get a video next time I go from the road to the water so I have timed proof. I'm curious myself... I usually figure 45 minutes from the road to leaving the dock but I don't know for sure.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
"Also on a side note, I've been enjoying your sailing videos on YouTube, Gene. I stumbled on your channel the other day..."
Gene has a great channel, it's usually on in the background when I'm hung out at work to remind me why I keep going back.....