Steak Saver Propane Adapter

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My new vessel has a dual, 11 lb. tank propane locker, but only came with one tank, and is plumbed for only one tank. We have found we get more than one season out of one tank on our previous boat. We do some grilling on a Force 10 grill that uses disposable, 1 lb., "camping" bottles.

I was thinking of just using one 11 lb. tank, and getting an adapter to run the boat off a 1 lb. bottle, in case the big one runs out unexpectedly. These are available for $18 domestically, $6 from China via eBay. Looking at them, though, it appears one can not only run the boat gas line off a 1 lb. tank, but also recharge a 1 lb. bottle from the big tank. It's confusing to me, though, and looking at all the eBay listings isn't un-confusing me.

Could one adapter really do both?
Do these work with the new, OPD valves?

Thanks,

jv

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Not sure it will fill the 1 pounder as full. It will fill it to the pressure in the big tank, but when they fill tanks they use a pump. It will work but not last as long as a new one. Try it and weigh a new one and a refill to see how they compare.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I'm not an expert on the topic, but it's my understanding that the pressure in a propane tank is fairly constant as long as there is liquid propane in the tank, and it is directly proportional to ambient temperature. I guess the "trick" would be getting sufficient propane to flow into the small bottle, so as it fills, the gas condenses to liquid. I can see why a pump would be necessary to fill it properly. But maybe chilling the small bottle would help?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We do that for our duck blind heaters. They use the 1# bottles and we keep the big bottle back at the house. I have found that if you place the 1 # bottle in a freezer for a while before you hook it up to the refill connector, that you will get a better fill. We also turn the big bottle upside down after making the connection. That seems to help get the most gas (liquid) transferred into the small bottle.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Ah! Found it online JRacer has most of it. You turn the big bottle upside down so that liquid flows out, into the small bottle. You vent the small bottle via the over-pressure relief valve, to vent any gas in it and allow the liquid propane to flow in. You can fill these completely that way. You can vent the small one by lifting the valve stem with a needle nose plier, or loosening with a tire valve core tool.
See this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-completely-refill-a-1lb-disposable-propan/

I must say that my primary interest is in using a 1 lb. can in an emergency, should I run out on the big bottle, but I guess you'd have to be really negligent to do that. Maybe I should go get the second bottle, and an automatic change over regulator, with a remote indicator. Then I'd have like a whole year to get the empty 11 lb. tank filled.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Extending this thread a bit, I've looked into the automatic change over regulators, and found the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253P. It can be found for around $30. You connect both tanks, open both tank valves, and when the primary is empty, the regulator switches to the backup, and and indicator changes from green to red. You refill the empty tank, and when you replace it, the indicator goes back to green with the refilled tank now the backup.

There's a remote indicator, RI-24, but I can't find it anywhere to purchase! The way we knew in the past when the primary was empty was that the range would go out. I'd close the valve on the empty, open it on the full, and resume cooking. I now knew I needed to fill one tank. With an automatic changeover, I could still run out, as I wouldn't know when I was halfway through.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Jviss if not in a rush I have a ten pound tank I want to get rid of. I switched to alcohol a few years ago. I can drop it off in Westborough next time I'm in the area, probably later this year. Otherwise it will be scrap metal.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
They say to place the empty 1 lb cannisters in the freezer for a few hours before filling. They will accept more propane than if you fill them at room temperature. My experience has been that they never fill to the new store bought level but you do save in $$ and convenience.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Jviss if not in a rush I have a ten pound tank I want to get rid of. I switched to alcohol a few years ago. I can drop it off in Westborough next time I'm in the area, probably later this year. Otherwise it will be scrap metal.
Oh, wow, thanks! Is it the skinny kind? The existing one is 11 lb., I think, and about 18" high by 9" diameter.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
On one of the remote islands in the Bahamas an industrious young man was filling cruisers propane bottles by setting them in a wash tub filled with ice and draining from his home propane tank. It did take several hours to get a decent fill.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Why not just buy a second 11 lb tank and carry the 2? You say you have a 2 tank locker. Same arrangement I have.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Oh, wow, thanks! Is it the skinny kind? The existing one is 11 lb., I think, and about 18" high by 9" diameter.
Yeah it is a standard white steel tank. Been in my shed for a few years. Not sure on my next trip to N.E. but I'll let you know.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I often had to fill my US tanks from a local 100# bottle when circumnavigating in the 70's. In some places they did not have adapters to fit my tanks so we just connected the two tanks with fuel hose and hose clamps. I had built a hose barb adapter for my tanks and would buy their fitting and do the same for that one, if need be.
As mentioned above, propane is a liquid, so it can be poured, which is what we did. In some places the regulations prohibited this, so the dealer would pop some tanks in his truck and we'd go to a hilltop outside town. I carried a brass wrench just for this job.
I believe LPG stands for liquid petroleum gas, but I've always thought of LPG as low pressure gas. Somehow it makes it seem safer when one is MacGyvering an explosive gas.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
safer when one is MacGyvering an explosive gas
:yikes:
Sounds like fun. Fire works when the smoking lamp is lit...:p

Any issues with freezing when you open up the supply line to the empty tank. The liquid gas gets cold as it vaporizes. How did you vent the receiving tank as the liquid gas poured in?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
:yikes:
Sounds like fun. Fire works when the smoking lamp is lit...:p

Any issues with freezing when you open up the supply line to the empty tank. The liquid gas gets cold as it vaporizes. How did you vent the receiving tank as the liquid gas poured in?
If memory serves, some of the old tank valves had a screw on the valve to allow it to vent the air and we would pour very slowly. Maybe a half hour or more for a 20# tank.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like the solution to a problem. It is a skill that is needed as you sail to more remote ports.
I looked at the "Skipping Stone" site. Your the skipper and crew for the charter?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I believe LPG stands for liquid petroleum gas, but I've always thought of LPG as low pressure gas. Somehow it makes it seem safer when one is MacGyvering an explosive gas.
Yes, LPG stands for liquid petroleum gas.

If you have access to a copy, this month's Professional Boatbuilder has an excellent and informative article by Steve D'Antonio on LPG Systems. Often these articles are republished on his website a short while after the magazine is published.

The working pressure (after the regulator) on an LPG system is about .5 psi. LPG will liquify at 100* F and 180 psi. Tanks are not completely filled as they need head space for the LPG to become gas. When the pressure is reduced by opening the valve, the LPG "boils" and vaporizes, it then goes out the valve to the regulator and to the device. As the tank empties the pressure in the tank decreases from 180 psi to .5 psi, the regulator manages the output pressure. Tank pressure gauges are there to monitor leaks, not to measure fuel remaining in the tank. If the tank is warmed the pressure will go up and if cooled, the pressure will go down with the same volume of gas in the tank.

The biggest danger with LPG is that it is heavier than air and can flow down into the bilge and other low spots waiting to be ignited. The other danger is that LPG stoves can produce a lot of carbon monoxide.