Staying in the water?

Aug 7, 2012
Macgregor 26x SouthShore Harbor Kemah TX
I am looking to buy a 26X or M. I want to leave in the salt water for several months at a time, I am in Galveston Bay. Does anyone do this? Also does anyone leave water in the ballast tank, I read about putting swimming pool tablets in it to keep down algae.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can't answer your question other than tell you hypochlorite tablets or 'pool chlorine' doesn't kill algae but it shouldn't be a problem unless your ballast tank gets lots of sunlight in it:cool:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You fill the 1400 pounds of water ballast with chlorinated city water, then add a little more chlorine. I think you should be fine. The worst thing would be that you have to replace the water occasionally.

If you use salt water or raw water, then you might be growing the gooh of life, eventually.

Aug 7, 2012
Thanks. I thought the same thing. I am not new to boats in salt water. But new to water ballast. And wondering how the mac hull holds up to sitting in the water. I am used to older boats with Thick hulls.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You need bottom paint...
It should hold-up.

I believe that that you shouldn't use the boat without the ballast being filled? It needs the ballast to keep the boat upright.

Aug 7, 2012
Yes I know I have to keep a good paint job on the bottom. I guess I just wonder if I should leave it in the marina with empty ballast.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Keep the ballast tank full. That thunderstorm that turtles the boat will make you wonder what you where thinking you where saving by emptying the tank

Aug 7, 2012
Keep the ballast tank full. That thunderstorm that turtles the boat will make you wonder what you where thinking you where saving by emptying the tank
Yes Just think tied to the marina it could be empty. But filled with clorene water is best

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I dont have that boat (26X or M) but sometimes its nice to just go to the marina and hang out on the boat and it will be a lot more stable and pleasant with water in the ballast. I have my 26S in a marina for four months of the year and the ballast tank stays full the whole time. I have no problem in fresh water but have never heard of any sort of problem in either fresh or salt water. I dont even get any smell but I understand thats the main reason for putting something in like clorox or the pool shock in the tank. Ive been putting hot tub shock in the ballast tank when I leave a lake (fresh water) just to make sure Im not moving invasive species around.