Stay sail traveler car specs

Jan 23, 2017
Hunter 37-Cutter Hampton, VA
I just bought a 1979 Hunter 37-cutter. It is currently rigged as a sloop but I have all the parts to the stay sail except the traveler car. Does anybody know the brand and specifications for this part? Thank you,

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I see no reason not to replace the staysail track and car with one from Harken, Garhauer or other reputable supplier (other than cost).

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
For what its worth - my opinion:
1 On San Francisco Bay where the wind howls in the summer but there are many wind shadowed areas, we have found the staysail to be useful and easy to use. On departure we put one reef (at least) in the main and then roller furl the jib from the cockpit as required for the variable conditions. I would not give up my staysail, it just makes sailing that much easier.
2 As long as you are attending to the car I would make an improvement over what is shown in the attached picture and provide for remote adjustment of the car position. This would greatly facilitate getting a good shape into that sail.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
You could certainly use that traveller but you wouldn't use the cam cleats that are on the traveller - you would route the traveller lines back to cleats on the cabin top at the front of the cockpit.

Personally, I don't use my main traveller very much so I likely wouldn't adjust the staysail traveller hardly at all. I generally leave the staysail traveller car amidship unless I am going downwind for extended periods. YMMV

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Personally, I don't use my main traveller very much so I likely wouldn't adjust the staysail traveller hardly at all. I generally leave the staysail traveller car amidship unless I am going downwind for extended periods. YMMV
Yes, I can see the point. If you did not have the car at all, why spring $600 when for initial experience with the staysail, you could just rig it at the center.