State of emergency tillers

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
For photos and design of my H430 ET see this link...
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...n-again-no-emergency-yet.184904/#post-1369653

My post #17 has the Helmsman's end showing welded strain relief, tie off rings[eyes] so you can maybe use the "gusher pump" and maintain a course.:pray:
______
Our emergency tiller does have eyes for a block and tackle rig on each side
:plus::plus:
I am sorry, but the Gym is not the answer for holding my 13 Ton boat, on course, in even moderate seas.
We bought one of these to help pull the ET and hold course, it connects to our Stern Cleats and the tiller rings[eyes].
https://www.amazon.com/Driver-Recov...045905&sr=8-3&keywords=small+come+along+winch

I can move my rudder with my hands when the boat is on the hard
Yep, mine too.
But...
What is the Force on the rudder, while holding a course that doesn't have "Rudder Amidships"?
How about quartering waves in 4 foot sea? Rudder surface exposure varies as it goes "in and out" of the water.

The "Rudder to Helm wheel" chain must be broken or its cable clamps broken for lost Wheel steering.
I inspect the ET and the Helm wheel linkage, for good maintenance each Spring.:)

Jim...

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Most boats are with a wheel also include an emergency tiller that drops into the steering quadrant from the deck. It may not be the most convenient way to steer... but it beats having no steering.

Not infrequently, emergency tiller parts are missing, mismatched, or broken.

Does yours fit that description, or is it safely aboard? Have you ever had to use your emergency tiller? Do tell.

View attachment 152465
Mine's a lot like the one in this picture. Crude and ugly. I broke a cable once so I know the pieces are there and it works.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
This has motivated me to put "inspect the steering system" at the top of my list. The new boat was supposedly expertly maintained by a full-service yard, but I've found some basic stuff just not done, as, for example, the hear exchanger zinc being totally eroded away. A couple of seawater hoses look original.

The steering gear is hard to get at on this. I wonder when someone last checked it?

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Ours is quick at hand, but....I have always wondered if it is necessary . Our boat has a ring/pinion steering setup with a link bar to the steering arm. A pretty solid setup, so the question is... What is likely to break - linkage, shaft? Would appreciate your views .
Sounds like that's all stronger than the rudder itself.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I have an emergency tiller but it is very difficult to use. The access is fine but the length of the tiller is really short. Designed that way to not hit the wheel. Because of that, there is hardly any leverage unlike a full length tiller. I have not had to use it, not even in testing. So its usefulness is questionable.

Several years ago I lent the ET to another Lancer 27 owner in Dana Point. He didn't have one and wanted to have one made. I never heard from him again. I remembered his boat name and did an internet search and found him. But there was no contact information. Just his name and his wife's name. So I looked her up and found out she owned a business. Contacted her and she put the fire under the guys butt. Got my ET back a week later. Haha
that's some good "sherlocking" right there!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
______
I am sorry, but the Gym is not the answer for holding my 13 Ton boat, on course, in even moderate seas.
We bought one of these to help pull the ET and hold course, it connects to our Stern Cleats and the tiller rings[eyes].
https://www.amazon.com/Driver-Recov...045905&sr=8-3&keywords=small+come+along+winch

Jim...
If I was on a passage, I'd probably figure out a way to lead the tails of the block and tackle rigs to the wheel. If that wasn't possible, at least to winches, so I'd be able to avoid the gym for some years to come, I hope. lol
Of course, with a ketch rig, on any point of sail except DDW, it's pretty easy to balance the sails and relieve most of the strain and minimize the actions necessary to steer a good course.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
a full inspection and lube of all things mechanical annually is a no brainer. this includes the entire steering system. prolly twice a year if your a 12 month a year sailor. not doing such would indicate you're a *&^%$#@#$%^&*. well, you know

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
a full inspection and lube of all thing mechanical annually is a no brainer. this includes the entire steering system. prolly twice a year if your a 12 month a year sailor. not doing such would indicate your a *&^%$#@#$%^&*. well, you know
Thanks for keeping it classy.

May 25, 2012
off the dock is not the time to learn how your ET works. or all your gear for that fact

May 25, 2012
classy is doing all the maintenance before you shove off the dock either under sail or by engine :)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Seriously, though, you are right, you should do all the maintenance. People don't. The steering system is easy to ignore, it's kind of like that silent servant.

May 25, 2012
every problem in the world can be fixed with proper lubrication. :)

May 25, 2012
i'm hard core about safety. maintenance is a huge part of that. i like sailing with a crew. they are easy to get for me. i'm told all the time by crew that they are scared to sail with others. plus i like pushing my boat hard. that takes crew.

'more sail'

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
So, how many people have practiced steering without the rudder (jammed or broken)? You will think about it once it happens to you (I hit a submerged log). It may be one of the most common causes of stranding.

Either an emergency rudder or drogue system.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/03/mexican-navy-tows-disabled-sailboat-for.html
If we all spent our time practicing for the remotest possibilities that could befall us, I doubt we'd ever get a chance to actually go sailing for fun.
Seeing if the emergency tiller exists, is functional or fits is one thing, but throwing out a drogue (which I won't even carry on a boat) and trying to steer with it, is a bit beyond reasonable. IMO. I think the time would be much better spent learning to balance the boat under sail, eliminating weather or lee helm. And a great deal more productive for everyday use.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Like Capta I know where the 6 foot pipe fits, but then I wouldn't be able to see over the center cockpit. I have a 300 foot Jordan series drogue which I know how to deploy like Thinwater shows but haven't tried it yet. We carry enough food and water for three months, by then we should bump into something. Might be interesting.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The drogue is great, but doesn't help in the harbor. But then, as someone pointed out, you can get help.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Lost the steering on a Hunter 37 years ago, the failure was where the chain that sprockets to the wheel transitioned to a cable with thimble. The chain link failed and parted. It was impossible to fish the parts together in the sea conditions and the cramped design of the Edson pedestal. So out came the emergency tiller. It was a joke. Took two crew members braced in the cockpit using their legs to move the ET and steer the boat. Two full-grown men. Eventually I rigged some dock lines to the primary winches and controlled the boat by winching the ET left and right. My new plan is to use my Galerider drogue and steer the boat with that - the 100% solution.