Starter fails - Sourcing replacement

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It was bound to happen. Whir. Whir. Engine starts. Oh boy untie the lines let’s go.
That was my engine starting procedure for the past 6 months.
But we all know that couldn’t last. Recently it had become. Whir. Whir. Whir. Then Whir. Whir. Whir. Whir. Come on baby. Whir. Whir. Engine starts Oh Boy let’s get this baby home. You know once she going you don’t need a starter.
I knew the hand writing was on the wall. So last week I started to look for a replacement. I have a 50hp Perkins 4cyl 1973 motor. When she runs she purrs. Sure she sounds a bit like an old cat but that’s the diesel in her.
Called the National distributor who confirmed the part but non in stock. Might be $500 if you can find one. “Try TransAtlanticDiesel. “ sure they can help 295 plus 70 shipping. Maybe 4 days. And we are not sure if it will work. Count the teeth, send us a picture. Wait a second we’re talking about a starter not a horse.
Yesterday I bit the bullet. I had to get it out to count it’s teath. Out of the deep cramped hole it is in and not loose anything important into the 5foot chasam of death, called my bilge.
Well tied the starter body to the engine. Followed good suggestion by @LeslieTroyer and left the heavy power cable attached so we might be able to pull it back up.
It’s just 3 bolts. But unless your a contortionist and can do things backwards, on you knees with the touch of a surgeon it is going to take more than 30 minutes.

Pleased to say the starter ectomy was a success. It has 12 teeth, #1105874 and it’s toast. B6137749-5684-45D8-9FF1-6BD42DB465D0.jpeg
Born in 1973. Died 2018.
Looking for a replacement I called Delco Remy. Technician states “it’s not in my computer. You sure we made it?”

What to do? @LeslieTroyer to the rescue. He knew an auto electrical shop in town. Off we go. Plop the starter down on the counter. Before I can say anything, counter guy says “we can rebuild that or I can have a new here be 4pm, costs $250.” Les say it took me a moment to pick my jaw off the floor. “That sounds great.”

Who knew there was an in town shop making parts? Pays to check.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have rebuilt diesel starters myself. Not rocket science. But if you can get a new (rebuilt, probably) for 2.5 boat bucks, why not? Don't forget to verify the rotation also. Number of teeth and rotation is the treat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
He knew an auto electrical shop in town.
Ain't friends great? One of my favorite shops back in California was "my" alternator repair place, a little literal hole in the wall shop right out of the 1920s. Great news.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If you buy the 250 one, make sure it’s genuine and not a knockoff. When I had my Volvo, the inet was flooded with “inexpensive” starters. Knockoffs...I’d rather rebuild the genuine one. I still have the Volvo starters that I’m trying to sell. Along with a bunch of other parts...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
What to do? @LeslieTroyer to the rescue. He knew an auto electrical shop in town. Off we go. Plop the starter down on the counter. Before I can say anything, counter guy says “we can rebuild that or I can have a new here be 4pm, costs $250.” Les say it took me a moment to pick my jaw off the floor. “That sounds great.”
Well John, rebuilt or new? Or both? Never hurts to have a spare.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That was one heavy mother starter. With spacer plates and good stuff to loose into that black hole the calls a bilge. Mine was a piece of cake in comparison.

I get to work on my boat tomorrow!!
Les