Starter Battery

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
Hunter 30t 1992: I have a standard on 1/2/All/Off battery switch with two deep cycle lead acid batteries as #1 and #2. Has anyone put them together in series or parallel on #1 and put a cranking lead acid battery on #2? The engine standard issue alternator and the AC battery charger would then be charging both. I would simply turn it to 2 for starting and then back to 1 with the engine off.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hunter 30t 1992: I have a standard on 1/2/All/Off battery switch with two deep cycle lead acid batteries as #1 and #2. Has anyone put them together in series or parallel on #1 and put a cranking lead acid battery on #2? The engine standard issue alternator and the AC battery charger would then be charging both. I would simply turn it to 2 for starting and then back to 1 with the engine off.
One of the first upgrades I did. Parallel the two deep cycle batteries. Use the second feed for the cranking battery. Be sure to use a fuse for each circuit. Consult wiring charts for the proper size wires to the cranking battery.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There is no reason why you cannot start the engne on bank #1, be it one OR two batteries.. If you need the ah capacity of 2 batteries,then parallel the two you have, then get a deep cycle of the same make/age of the two in the #1 bank. You don't need a "starting-type battery". It is preferable to have all batteries of the same chemistry/age/size.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
This is one of those things for which there are numerous 'right' ways to do it.

A simple solution to your question is to connect a start battery directly to the engine start motor, eliminate the three-way switch and use any of a number of relays marketed for this purpose to connect them for re-charging. Some people way over-think this stuff.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Does your alternator have a regulator with two independent outputs?

How much power do you routinely pull from your house battery? Does one battery work for you?

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
Thanks so much for all the information! I am preparing for the summer where we anchor for the night in a cove and entertain kids. At the dock we have 120v to run everything, but out only batteries, and I want to leave one to get home on.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I wrote about my set-up a few months ago. I have four 6v T-105 Trojans for my house. Two batts wired in series to form two 12v banks. These are wired to a selector switch (SS), one set to #1 and the other to #2. This SS is wired to #1 on the main SS. I have a 12v batt that I use as a starting batt. This is wired to #2 on the main SS. That being said, I now have two house banks that I can parallel or isolate one or the other or shut them both off using their own SS. I can select #1 house, or #2 starting or all from the main SS. This gives me six combinations of banks from which to choose. I know I am really over amped for the sailing I do now but this setup served me well when cruising. I hope this makes sense.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The small diesel engines can be adequately started by a deep cycle battery. Using three batteries of the same age and type will not cause the alternator to be charging two different types of batteries; it might prevent additional wear and tear in the alternator.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
As mentioned there are many ways to do what you are thinking, my advice, do up a drawing and then post it for us to review and comment on, once the thought process is clear implement the results.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
I did this on my 356 last year. Hooked the two OEM batteries in parallel on bank one and added a single battery in it's own battery box on bank two. I leave the switch on bank one and bank two is reserved for "emergency" starting.