Registered users don't see ads

Starboard couch replacement

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by dakno, Jun 12, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. dakno

dakno

Joined Jun 22, 2009
    126 posts, 6 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US new orleans
    I have been thinking of this for a while and even saw one on yacht world once. The starboard couch is a huge waste of space. With the radius curves in each corner talking up 16" alone no adult can sleep there, the drawer underneath is ungainly and the large storage behind the backrest is totally useless. I want to pull out the couch and build a sette frame like the port side but a straight bench style. Facing the centerline would be 2 opening doors, under the seat cushion would be 2 hatch boards to offer additional access to the space below ( where the drawer is now). A new removable seat back cushion like the dinette seatbacks would allow access to the 2 existing large bins that are inaccessible now. The end result would be a horizontal flat surface of 70" vs current 56", depth of 30" vs current 22" and the large storage area behind the backrest cushions. I think the hardest part would be matching the veneers currently in the cabin. If I could incorporate the existing seat cushions that would be a bonus. Have any of you done or anticipate doing this?

2. Nodak7

Nodak7

Joined Sep 28, 2008
    984 posts, 26 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Punta Gorda, FL
    Dakno just getting the thing out would be a project in itself! Thought of this myself but never have gotten up the energy. No doubt it would take new cushion covers throughout.

3. dakno

dakno

Joined Jun 22, 2009
    126 posts, 6 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US new orleans
    I saw a DS on yachtworld several months ago that had done it. Look at your storage port side behind sette. The same space exist behind the starboard couch. look closely behind the backrest and you can see the 2 large oval cutouts. You also know with certainty that at some point you will have to get in there to run a line anyway. How will I match these veneers?

4. HMT2

HMT2

Joined Mar 20, 2014
    543 posts, 108 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Shoreacres, TX
    Don’t know what you interior looks like, but I put a new piece of teak vaneer (old was teak vaneer) in. I practiced on some scrap pieces and experimented with various stains and levels of stain, when I was close I then added several coats of tung oil until i had good match.

5. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,808 posts, 503 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    Gee, even that's a new one on me: couch. I've heard kitchen, toilet, bedroom, bathroom, windows, living room, even "garage" for those of us with aft cabins that do double duty, but never couch.
    Thanks for that new one! :)

6. Butch23065

Butch23065

Joined Feb 6, 2008
    74 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 41
    US Punta Gorda
    Hi guys,

The 41 AC & 41 DS offered a settee in place of the couch. I don't know what years or which was standard & which was optional. Maybe Hunter can help with the conversion?

Butch

7. SEMPERAVANTI41

SEMPERAVANTI41

Joined Jun 15, 2012
    374 posts, 22 likes
    Hunter 50 AC
    US Greenport, NY
    I always thought the couch was a great feature of the 41 (and of the 50). I also thought of the wasted storage space behind. Have you considered perhaps mounting the couch on some type of roller so you could release a catch, roll the couch out and then get to the storage space behind?

8. sailor5017

sailor5017

Joined Jun 26, 2004
    132 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Point Roberts
    I got rid of that bayliner type couch a week after we bought the boat 12 years ago It came out in pieces.. replaced it with a proper settee with 2 large drawers under neath created lots of storage behind the back of the settee. had cushions made to match the ones around the salon table.. Built the framework out of good quality plywood and faced it all with a teak plywood to match interior wood.. way better... Latter I leaned from a hunter rep that the couch was originally made for Silverton power boat.. no wonder it looked out of place!

Nodak7 likes this.
  9. Nodak7

Nodak7

Joined Sep 28, 2008
    984 posts, 26 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Punta Gorda, FL
    Interesting I had wondered why it seemed so out of place. Thanks

10. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,808 posts, 503 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    I was kidding in my last post about folks using "house" words for things on boats.

But if there really is a "couch" on a boat, could one of you skippers post a picture?

This I gotta see!!! :)

pateco likes this.
  11. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,933 posts, 485 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    Never saw this before, but I think couch would be the best description for it.

Hunter 41DS couch.jpg Hunter 41DS Couch2.jpg Hunter 41DS couch 3.jpg

12. gfrazzle

gfrazzle

Joined Aug 26, 2007
    198 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Ventura, California
    Her ya go Stu:

[​IMG]

pateco likes this.
  13. HMT2

HMT2

Joined Mar 20, 2014
    543 posts, 108 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Shoreacres, TX
    Holy crap! It’s a couch on a boat!

pateco likes this.
  14. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,384 posts, 300 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    WTF!!!! :yikes:

pateco likes this.
  15. Rick486

Rick486

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    916 posts, 142 likes
    Hunter 44DS
    US Pt. Judith
    Wow! Wish I had a couch! Looks like a comfortable seat. Actually I wish I had 2 easy chairs. Sailboats are great except there is not a single comfortable chair on the entire boat.

16. sailor5017

sailor5017

Joined Jun 26, 2004
    132 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Point Roberts
    IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1756.jpg IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1759.jpg IMG_1759.jpg

pateco likes this.
  17. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,215 posts, 1,660 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Boy that does look a bit comfy. I'm getting the urge to be a "Couch Potato". Not good on a boat.

18. dakno

dakno

Joined Jun 22, 2009
    126 posts, 6 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US new orleans
    Sailor5017, thats a great job. We are planning for it now as a next spring project. Thanks