Standing rigging

Murmar

Jun 15, 2013
Catalina Catalina 36 Cowichan Bay B.C.
This is my first post so I hope I don't screw it up. My question is, has anyone used the rigging measurements from there manual to make up new shrouds and stays. My reason for asking is that my boat is in Mexico and I am on Vancouver Island and want to make up the rigging here and take it back down with me. I didn't take the measurements before I put the boat up. The boat is a 1989 Catalina 36. Thanks for any help.
Murray

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi,

Welcome to our "merry little world" on sbo.

You have a very valid question, but one could ask: "If you can't trust the manual, who can you trust?" As long as you know whether or not you have a tall rig or standard rig, those measurements should be correct. This also assumes that a PO didn't make any radical changes to your rig.

Only you can tell, so what would make sense is to measure a few examples, like an upper and lower shroud and compare them to the manual.

I also don't know if you are aware of the C36 Association website, a valuable resource for you: https://www.catalina36.org/forum?f=3

Good luck.

Murmar

Jun 15, 2013
Catalina Catalina 36 Cowichan Bay B.C.
Thanks Stu, there is an older C36 in Cowichan Bay that I could measure and compare. It is a standard rig also.